• Real Estate Investor
  • Ferndale, MI
Votes |
Bird Dogging: Other Legal Questions

Leslie Coxon
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ferndale, MI
Posted Apr 18 2010, 17:07

I just got done reading the post "Attention Birddogs: This is a Must Read For You! (7 Steps To Get Started Now)" There was a question raised about the legality of bird dogging. The conclusion was basically to check with a local real estate lawyer to find out for sure. I will do that but I would still like some feedback from BP on 3 questions:

1. I want to bird dog because I have no REI experience and it seems like a great way to get my feet wet. I don't care about making any money. If I did it for free just so I can learn, wouldn't that be legal anywhere? If an investor was grateful and wanted to give me money, like a tip or something, should I refuse it (assuming it is illegal where I am)?

2. Do wholesalers need real estate licenses? If not, please explain how wholesaling is legal if bird dogging is illegal. From that post the law was quoted as: "Anyone who, for compensation, sells, offers to sell, buys or offer to buy, or negotiates the purchase or sale or exchange of real estate...leases or offers to lease or rents or offers to rent any real estate or improvements thereon is required to hold a real estate license."

3. I've read other places on the internet that paying "finders fees" is only illegal for licensed real estate professionals. Well, I am currently taking classes to get my real estate license. Does that mean I could not use bird dogs if I became a wholesaler? I will ask this in my next class and follow up with that response.

Thanks,
Leslie
:clap:

Loading replies...