Newbie to Wholesaling

8 Replies

Hello All,

I am new to wholesaling and I must admit that I am a nervous wreck. I have watched videos that has given me a bunch of information. I have joined plenty of groups, read and heard plenty of success stories and here I am eager to start but I am the type of person who is so scared of messing up that it holds me back. That is where I am today.

Do any of you have any suggestions for people just starting out? Solutions, motivation, tips, lessons learned, helpful tools to use or anything? I have seen different ways to possibly go out to find sellers, such as bandit signs, landlords and the MLS. Is there an easier way? Do you suggest that a newbie has a mentor? Anyone in Chicago willing to be a mentor?

Any help at all is appreciated!

Hi Shana! Congratulations on stepping out into your UNcomfort zone! lol that is where success happens. If I ever find myself getting comfortable, I pretty much know I am not doing **** lol so EMBRACE the fear. Having mentors, and building a team is going to be essential to your success. I suggest starting a buyers list. There are many facebook pages that have ready buyers. Networking events are amazing. Why have you chose wholesaling as your place to start ? Just Curious.. By the way, my team and I are buyers and we are always looking for some good deals, so we can definetely talk about that. Though we try to stay out of Cook County..

@Gail Govednik Well since being uncomfortable is the first step, consider me moving on to step number 2 now! lol Awesome advice, I have been looking into networking events I guess my next step should be business cards then because i have nothing to hand out at these events, unless I hand out my current business cards as I am a real estate agent, but nothing on them mentions that I am an investor as well.

I am looking to get into investing, wholesaling sparked my interest as I can do this with no money (right up my alley seeing as though I dont have much), I eventually want to get into flipping but I just wanted to start here to learn this side of real estate.

I would love to converse with you further about what you are looking for as well!

This post has been removed.

Hi Gail,

I'm just reading your response to Shana.  I too am from Chicago but we currently live in the southern suburbs (cook county). Thank you for your suggestions.  I will act on that today. I know I can't let the fear stump me. My husband and I are a part of a real estate investing class and we have a contract on our first fix and flip. Unfortunately it doesn't look like we will be learning about wholesaling. I'm so glad I found Bigger Pockets!

I think I already know the answer but just curious, why are you all shying away from cook county in particular? I hope we can meet one day in person. Thanks again!

I am currently in the western suburbs of Chicago on my first live in flip house hack... landed a sweetheart deal and am looking to expand in the next two years to bigger propertys with money in hand. This time I did everything I could to get into the duplex. If you have any questions or need a good lawyer, cpa, lender. Just reach out. As for the work being done most of this first one is done by me and I have local guys to help. Either way congrats and welcome!! 

You should go check out the WCRT investor meetup on 11/2 in Elmhurst. The guest speaker is a full time wholesaler and will give you a good idea of what you're getting into, his successes and failures, and how he runs his business. It's worth the night there. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.