Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Shray Patel
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Dropping out of college - what would you do?

Shray Patel
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Oct 11 2017, 08:55

Hey everyone,

I am 20-years old at Temple University with 3 semesters left before I graduate. I recently decided to switch from studying/working in the IT industry to Real Estate. I have worked in a property management company for 1.5 years and am currently partnering in a 6-unit construction project with my father and a developer we know. I am trying to decide if it is worth to switch to a Real Estate major and finishing my semesters to get my Real Estate degree VS. working under a successful developer full-time and dropping out of school. I am leaning more towards dropping out and working full-time under our developer who will teach me ins-and-outs of RE development, investment, and management. I feel like I would learn the most and be best prepared learning under his mentorship than wasting 1.5 years studying RE theory in school. Our developer agreed to help with any costs related to my learning (i.e. any textbooks, online courses, etc) and hire me full-time. I will get my Real Estate license while working under him. 

Do I need a formal business degree in Real Estate to get a job in the industry or is it just my experience and expertise that counts? What would you guys do having worked already and been successful in this industry?

Thanks for all your help in advanced!

Shray

Loading replies...