Eager rookie needing help

2 Replies

Hello BP,

My name is Accario Trotter and I live in Dallas, TX. I've made the decision to jump into the real estate business and have no experience what's so ever. To be honest I don't even know where to start. I would love to focus on wholesaling right now and later down the road tackle flipping and rental properties. I'm in desperate need of help and would love someone to teach me about wholesaling process and guide me to my first deal. In other words I need s mentor. Any suggestions?

@Accario Trotter ,

The first and best step IMO is to find a mentor! Go to your local REI meeting , and ask to come help for free, and learn! No one will turn down free help! The more you're around them, and see what they do/how they do it, the better. Also, READ and LEARN as much as you can before it, so you can come educated.

If you're interested in rehabs, check out a local trade school,  and take basic classes on plumbing/electrical/drywall/etc.. so many people ignore the rehab part, and pay $$$$ when it just takes knowledge!   Good luck!

@Accario Trotter - I think the key here is always be learning, and figure out ways to be helpful to others. Everyone feels overwhelmed when starting out (myself included), but if you patiently take steps to learn a little bit everyday, you'll be surprised how much knowledge you've gained after even a couple weeks. So specific suggestions would include - 

-Listen to every BP podcast (it's amazing what you'll learn after listening to every episode), 

- Spend some time everyday on the forums (google things you don't know and ask questions)

- No one is going to reply out of the blue saying "I'll be your mentor", unless it's for a fee. So instead, check the events section for local BP meetup groups and go to all of them. Keep an ear out for issues people say they are having, great opportunity to build a strong relationship with experienced investors 

@Linda D. - your suggestion about classes at a trade school is great! I haven't heard that one before

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here