How do I get experience as an 18 yr old?

7 Replies

I'm 18 years old and wondering where to start. I've heard things like getting jobs at real estate agency's to get experience but I'm not looking to be an agent so I'm not sure if that's the right way to go. I also don't have much money to start with. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm super excited to get started but feel like i'm in analysis paralysis. Hopefully can get some tips. Thanks!

I would grab as many books that you can find that are recommended on here and start reading. Grab set for life and Robert's rich dad poor dad books and read as you go. Also, if you don't want to be an agent, try finding a local investor and ask to pick his/her brain over some coffee. Good luck to you!

I would do bird dogging for investors or just wholesaling yourself. Those are two great paths, I'm 14 and I do some bird dogging for investors, it's great! If you want to talk some more pm me!

@Noah Catallo don't use your age as an excuse. Money doesn't care how old you are or how much experience you have. You get experience, nobody gives it to you. You have to educate yourself on your local market. This doesn't come from a book or school. Learn how much houses are selling for in your area. Learn how much rents are down to the street and neighborhood. Why? So that when you see a deal, you will know it. You need to be an expert on your market, this takes time. In the meantime, go out and get a job. It doesn't matter what kind of job. It doesn't matter if it is in real estate or not. Having some money in your pocket is a good thing. Also, if you plan on getting a loan for real estate, you will need to show that you have an income. Nobody just starts investing in real estate from day one, unless you are Donald Trump. Go sell cars like Grant Cardone, make some money while learning about real estate. When you find a deal, you will be able to buy it yourself, or wholesale it to someone else with money. You have to be an expert. Nobody can do that for you.

Find a way to provide value to those around you. You have time, they likely have knowledge.... 

Thank you everyone for all the information! I really appreciate the help!

@Noah Catallo

Hey bud!

Thanks for posting!

Couple questions for you:

1. What facet of real estate do you want to be in? (Example: are you looking to be an investor? If so, what type of investment? Buy and flip? Buy and hold? Single family? Multifamily? etc.)

2. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?

I met a very ambitious teen recently. Not only has he already figured out he wants to buy large multifamily buildings as soon as he can, but he's already started taking BIG steps into eventually achieving his goal, despite his age. He currently works (free of charge) for a large MFR investor/property manager just so he can discover the ins and outs of the business. On top of that, he works just one day per week for a large airline company so he can fly around the country FOR FREE and meet other investors that have already achieved his dream. He's educating himself, meeting people, making connections, etc., not even having spent ONE day in college (I think...)

Anyway, my point is, find out what it is you want exactly, educate yourself in that field, work (for free if necessary) for someone who already has what you want, and give it time...

If you're in Chicago, feel free to reach out to me. I'd be happy to help anytime.

Good luck young man!

-Van

Go to some of the meetups on there and start networking! Welcome to BP!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here