Trading Stocks or Options

3 Replies

Does anyone here trade stocks or options on the side? It kind of fits with some REI personalities. I personally don't, because I can't stomach losing a penny, but was just curious and wondered how it was working out for you? My buddy was telling me about sites where you can mimic or copy professional trader, but I am VERY skeptical!

@Adam M.

I used to trade options for several months, just like how your buddy recommends. "mimicking a professional trader" while learning the ins and outs. 

I would sometimes make over $10K in a day, and lose $15K the next. Eventually, I lost more than I made, and the stress and fast pace was killing me. 

When I replenish my "play $$", I would look into it again but be a lot more conservative (such as selling covered calls etc) 

I enjoy the challenge & participate in REI and stocks. I'm a Buffet investor. Chinese, not Warren, I like a heaping plate of everything that works!

Hey, Adam:

I'm currently trading stocks and options.  It works out great and you don't have to have 50% account swings in a day.  That's dangerous and way too leveraged.  I can calculate how much I'll make on a trade before I execute, control my losses, and it's a great passive source.  The trick is to be on the 'sell' side of options.  Currently making about 1% per week on my whole account.   Example:  You can pick up 100 shares of stock A for 40 dollars today, and sell a call option for 1 dollar expiring 2 weeks from now at 41.  If the stock drops to $39 you are break even because you sold a call netting you $1.  If the stock does nothing you keep $1, do again in 2 weeks (or less), rinse, repeat.  If the stock rises to 41.01 you lose the stock, but keep 41-40 PLUS the $1.00.  Oversimplified, but it is fantastic.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here