Trading Stocks or Options

3 Replies

Does anyone here trade stocks or options on the side? It kind of fits with some REI personalities. I personally don't, because I can't stomach losing a penny, but was just curious and wondered how it was working out for you? My buddy was telling me about sites where you can mimic or copy professional trader, but I am VERY skeptical!

@Adam M.

I used to trade options for several months, just like how your buddy recommends. "mimicking a professional trader" while learning the ins and outs. 

I would sometimes make over $10K in a day, and lose $15K the next. Eventually, I lost more than I made, and the stress and fast pace was killing me. 

When I replenish my "play $$", I would look into it again but be a lot more conservative (such as selling covered calls etc) 

Hey, Adam:

I'm currently trading stocks and options.  It works out great and you don't have to have 50% account swings in a day.  That's dangerous and way too leveraged.  I can calculate how much I'll make on a trade before I execute, control my losses, and it's a great passive source.  The trick is to be on the 'sell' side of options.  Currently making about 1% per week on my whole account.   Example:  You can pick up 100 shares of stock A for 40 dollars today, and sell a call option for 1 dollar expiring 2 weeks from now at 41.  If the stock drops to $39 you are break even because you sold a call netting you $1.  If the stock does nothing you keep $1, do again in 2 weeks (or less), rinse, repeat.  If the stock rises to 41.01 you lose the stock, but keep 41-40 PLUS the $1.00.  Oversimplified, but it is fantastic.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.