Turnkey property. What does that exactly mean?

4 Replies

Hello everyone. I am interested on investing on a duplex or triplex in L.A. I found a duplex in great shape at a good price but it’s a Turnkey property. I wouldn’t like to have other people managing my property and taking a big chunk of my cash flow since my husband and I are barely starting. What are the pros and cons of Turnkey properties investments? Please advise.

@Perla Leon , I'm curious: How have you concluded that it's a "good price"?

To the best of my knowledge, you're not obliged to use their services to manage the Property, but it might mean you lose a certain "warranty" that would otherwise come with the sale.

In general, I reckon the only pro with Turnkey companies is the fact that their management services do let you off the task of self-managing! So while I agree that, yes, those management costs can eat heavily into any cash flow, I reckon the biggest chunk of cost is the fact that you'd likely be paying more for it in the first place than the rest of the market was offering!

"Turnkey" means they've made it rent-ready, they have the contractors, they do everything.

ie. You sit back and relax. ie. They see your deep pockets, and they sell you the dream!

Back to my first point, care to share the cold hard numbers that make it a "good price"?

Originally posted by @Perla Leon :

Hello everyone. I am interested on investing on a duplex or triplex in L.A. I found a duplex in great shape at a good price but it’s a Turnkey property. I wouldn’t like to have other people managing my property and taking a big chunk of my cash flow since my husband and I are barely starting. What are the pros and cons of Turnkey properties investments? Please advise.

Turnkey is a type of investment. It is mainly for passive investors who work a 9-5 or want to get into another market out of state.

Ideally, the provider will own, renovate, and manage the property all in house. They will not use any third parties for anything.

I would suggest looking at:

The Best Types of Markets for Profitable Turnkey Properties

and

What to Ask When Working With a Turnkey Provider

Tom Ott, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2016003865)
440-749-4043
Originally posted by @Perla Leon :

You are over complicating. You need to contact a Realtor & have them show you duplexes in your area that are either occupied or vacant but move in ready. Then you buy & start managing it yourself. Rinse & Repeat many times over...Then buy yourself a boat.

James Wise, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2015001161)
216-661-6633

It means you are the last in line to make money.................................

If you like the property go get your own realtor and make an offer!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.