Buy property Now or build resources?

2 Replies

Hi guys. I'm very new to real estate investing. I finally have some funds from the sell of my previous primary resident. It's been 2 months since the transaction, so I have $30k sitting around, and my credit score also went up to 700+. Should I invest in getting a rental property now, or wait to try and get personal line of credit, or other sources of funding from lenders, as a backup (for repairs, closing costs, etc)? Either way, my credit will get ding. I'm trying to determine if it would be smarter to get my credit dinged by applying for a rental property loan (I already have a mortgage for my primary, so this rental would be a 2nd mortgage). If i have 2 home loans, im afraid i wont qualify for a line of credit (as backup funds) due to debt to income ratio. Or should I maximize trying to get backup funds first, since I have money sitting in the bank and with a good credit, before applying for 2nd mortgage?

One point if you go with the rental is to ensure that it cash flows so that it actually helps improve your debt-to-income ratio, which then helps you out with that line of credit down the line. 

Right. I'm just wanting to secure the line of credit now, but wondering if I should take a hit on my credit for that, or wait and just get the ding on my credit when I apply for loan on a rental.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here