starting in the Real Estate Business

8 Replies

Hello my name is Stephanie Valme and I am currently 21 years old and attend the University of Massachusetts  Dartmouth. I am in my 3rd year of college and I am starting to narrow down on careers I want to pursue in my future. Real Estate has been my real focus right now but I need help. I need to know how to start. I want to know everything about the business and investing in it but like I said I'm 21 years old and have no experience in the field. So I guess my main question is where can I get started and who can I talk to about getting internships, experience, and knowledge in the real estate business. I am young motivated and willing to learn any and everything!

@Stephanie J. Valme I recommend that you get your real estate license and find a brokerage to work for, most of them have real estate training programs at the brokerage, also you will have to take some courses and a test to get your license. Overall, it's a win win situation, you will get experience and you will learn a lot about real estate with this.

@Stephanie J. Valme

Welcome to BP! 

First Decide your goals. Do you want to invest? If, so look into mass housing or FHA for owner occupied- You can invest with 3.5% or 5% down--- Understand what areas you want to invest in. Take it daily, one day at a time.... And reverse engineer your goals

@Stephanie J. Valme Welcome to BP!  I do quite a bit of business in Brockton and the surrounding area and I'd be happy to get together for a coffee and a chat.

That would be great! Originally posted by @Charlie MacPherson :

@Stephanie J. Valme Welcome to BP!  I do quite a bit of business in Brockton and the surrounding area and I'd be happy to get together for a coffee and a chat.

I am looking to invest yes. Thank you so much for the advice!
Originally posted by @Steve Bracero :

@Stephanie J. Valme

Welcome to BP! 

First Decide your goals. Do you want to invest? If, so look into mass housing or FHA for owner occupied- You can invest with 3.5% or 5% down--- Understand what areas you want to invest in. Take it daily, one day at a time.... And reverse engineer your goals

Thank you so much! I will definitely look into this
Originally posted by @Michael Kantar :

Stephanie J. Valme I recommend that you get your real estate license and find a brokerage to work for, most of them have real estate training programs at the brokerage, also you will have to take some courses and a test to get your license. Overall, it's a win win situation, you will get experience and you will learn a lot about real estate with this.

@Stephanie J. Valme  

Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

I would recommend finding a local REIA (Real Estate Investment Association). Most REIA's host monthly meeting for investors in your local area. This will be a great forum for you to learn and develop a network.

Not go to against previous comments but if you head the route to getting your license you are probably going to not get the investment knowledge you are seeking.

@Stephanie J. Valme my best advice is to go on MeetUp.com and find your local Real Estate Meet Ups. I started attending my local events back in March. Since then I have gained a strong understanding of how to invest in real estate. Several people at the Meet Ups have been willing to meet with me for coffee and teach me more about their ventures. Based off the education I have gained, I am now closing on my first investment property! Best of luck!

Scott

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.