How much should you pay for Real estate networking

6 Replies

Hey guys, I am just starting out, I have a background in Finance and a good idea how to run the numbers but am looking for a mentor in the NYC area to show me how to work this tough market or at least to talk to investors and find what pockets they invest in inside/outside the city. I want cash flow and I know most people in NYC are looking for appreciation causing home prices to be crazy high. So I looked at joining my local REIA which I thought was free. I may be simply inexperienced here but is this reasonable? It just sounds a lot to me like a guru bootcamp. What are your thoughts? Advice welcome

http://www.reianyc.org/memberships

Don't pay to join a group, there should be free options somewhere.  I'm not familiar with the New York market but it is very possible that cash flow is nonexistent or very rare unless you are willing to venture away from the city or you are willing to put up a large down payment.

@Adrie Moses-bailey Welcome to BP. This is where you can get your real estate education. We have people on here with experience in every niche and market there is. Take some time to read the forums, participate by asking questions, listen to podcasts, webinars, etc. 

Have you searched the Local forum for your area? NEW YORK FORUM Post on there with subject:  Bronx New York Investors? 

Also you might look on meetup.com and see if there's any real estate investing groups. 

Originally posted by @Karen Margrave :

@Adrie Moses-bailey Welcome to BP. This is where you can get your real estate education. We have people on here with experience in every niche and market there is. Take some time to read the forums, participate by asking questions, listen to podcasts, webinars, etc. 

Have you searched the Local forum for your area? NEW YORK FORUM Post on there with subject:  Bronx New York Investors? 

Also you might look on meetup.com and see if there's any real estate investing groups. 

Thanks Karen, I actuallt forgot to reach out to them. Ill look there and see if I can get some help too!

Originally posted by @Aaron Klatt :

Don't pay to join a group, there should be free options somewhere.  I'm not familiar with the New York market but it is very possible that cash flow is nonexistent or very rare unless you are willing to venture away from the city or you are willing to put up a large down payment.

 Im thinking that same thing about paying, ive learned more from free resources from bigger pockets and the books I have read. I actually think cashflow might be near impossible in NYC barring a very unique alignment of circumstances and am looking now in mount vernon, Schenectady, trenton and nearby. Places I can drive through because starting off I'm not sure I would want to trust my first investment to a property management firm who wouldn't care near as much about it as I do

That seems reasonable for a first investment, but as you grow property management may save you quite a few headaches.

Originally posted by @Adrie Moses-bailey :

Hey guys, I am just starting out, I have a background in Finance and a good idea how to run the numbers but am looking for a mentor in the NYC area to show me how to work this tough market or at least to talk to investors and find what pockets they invest in inside/outside the city. I want cash flow and I know most people in NYC are looking for appreciation causing home prices to be crazy high. So I looked at joining my local REIA which I thought was free. I may be simply inexperienced here but is this reasonable? It just sounds a lot to me like a guru bootcamp. What are your thoughts? Advice welcome

http://www.reianyc.org/memberships

Our local REIA charges $120 a year and it is well worth it.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here