struggling getting started

6 Replies

I'm new to the Kansas City, Missouri real estate investment business and am looking for my first deal. I'm open to flip and or rent but am struggling getting my first property. We go to view the home, do the analysis and by the time we want to make an offer it's too late. What other ways would one go about to come across a property for the first time investor? I would be open to wholesalers, direct mailers and driving for dollars. Any one have any other ideas.

Hey Joe,

I have checked out investing in Kansas City, but we never found better deals than we were investing in other cities.  Now that you have done that property and wanted to follow through with it, whenever a similar property comes on the market...you can jump on it faster. 

Stay constant and try to get a realtor to find these properties before they come on the market, off market, or to send similar props to you as they come on the market. The agent should be able to take some weight off your shoulders.

I would love to talk with you and see how I can help you succeed with your deals!

Happy Holidays & Happy Investing!

continue to be consistent and take massive action. it's all a numbers game. Here are some ideas that will help you out that most investors are not using. Market to Eviction attorney and/or go down to the courthouse to find Evictions. Market to Bailbondsmen. Let them know Yu are an investor who buys properties, all cash and can close quicky. Target people who work for Code enforcement. Also insurance adjuster who deal in fire damage properties. take them to coffee or lunch. let them know what you do. I use to get alot of leads from a guy who delt with fire damage properties. These are all about relationships. Good Luck

be sure to come speed network at MAREI on December 12th you can connect with a lot of wholesalers.

Kim, Thanks for the reply. Where is the speed networking event held?

@Joe Prenger You should start by first defining your strategy. It's all well and good to say you're open to flipping or renting but if you don't know what you're going to do with a property, who do you evaluate it properly? The analysis you do for a flip will be much different than how you analyze a buy and hold. Start by knowing what you're going to do.

Joe, as already suggested, a great place to start is your local REIA (Real Estate Investment Association). There, you can mix and mingle with like-minded individuals and share ideas and strategies. You should also be able to find wholesalers with off-market deals. As you've seen, the competition for properties on the MLS, Craigslist, etc. is fierce. You need to get to sellers before they list/post their home for sale. Good luck and let us know your progress.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.