What to do with $25k ?

2 Replies

Hello All, In November, I started working for the MTA and it’s taking much of my time. I am a licensed realtor and right now, I'm OVER my analysis paralysis. It’s time I start, invest in my Buy & Hold career. Just ready to learn hands on, build, connect, fail forward and create legacy. Currently, I have a family member will be my private money lender, lending up to $25k. With that in mind, I plan on going for the FHA loan on a Multi-family. However, I have not applied for a loan yet and here, at this point, is where I would like clarity: 1. Should I apply for the loan myself to see how much I qualify for? 2. Ask someone else to put their name on the property? (Perhaps my PML) 3. Create an LLC or Sole Priority to have on the property? What would you do if you if you were me knowing you had $25k to get your first investment property?

I believe for most FHA loans you will have to have your name on the property, so you should apply for the loan in your name, you probably already know this but keep in mind that you have to live on the property for a certain amount of time to qualify for FHA financing.

@Terrell Sapp not to be a downer nor am I saying its impossible but I think you will have a hard time buying a multifam property in the 5 boroughs with 25K out of pocket. the lowest FHA I have seen was 3% down + closing costs. closing costs alone here in NYC can be 15K, that leaves you with 10K as a down payment. that would be enough for a 300K property at best. That's not including bank required reserves or minor rehab costs i.e. paint, cleaning, making the units rent ready etc. With the insane market here in NYC, I see small 1/1 condos as far away from Manhattan as Staten Island going for 300K+. Multifams typically start at 500-600K and they will be beat up at that price point. again, not trying to discourage but I don't want to see you get your hopes up and then be disappointed.

To give context to how insane the market has been, I bought a rental 3 years ago for 235K, my neighbor is selling his for 300K now. we have the exact same property  in the same building.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.