Starting Website Building

12 Replies

I am currently trying to build a website but the more and more I look there seems to be specific websites for specific things even down to the niche, can anybody help me with suggestions, pricing (monthly/yearly), best for starting and thank you in advance for any help.

I have been putting thought into how to build a new real estate portfolio website for myself and iv decided to use wordpress. You can pay Wordpress to host your website and buy your domain from them to, but I prefer to host my own wordpress site on a godaddy server.

Once you have the website setup then you just upload themes and plugins to customize the site. There are tuns of wordpress themes for different nitches, many are free but you can also pay for premium ones.

Wordpress is a robust backbone for your website, but if all that sounds to complicated there are other solutions. You can make a free google website for example. Or use a website builder like WIX.

Goodluck!

@Grayson Graham Thank you I will check out word press but isn't go daddy also a web builder as well? An just for planning purposes how much do you pay a month for all expenses dealing with website. Any advice on a specific setup? Thanks again and thank you for any further help

Hi @Ricardo Powell Jr - I just recently went through this exercise and here's what I did. First I set up an account with a domain host like Godaddy or BlueHost. I use Bluehost and it costs something really cheap like $5 a month. This is also where you select your domain name. Depending on the domain name you want, there may be a fee to purchase it (ranges from $5 to I've seen some for $1mm). Then you build a website on top of that. Like @Grayson Graham  mentioned, Wordpress is a simple option and is also what I used. Wordpress can also be loaded with 1-click on Bluehost (I'm sure Godaddy is the same). When you have Wordpress installed then you can play around selecting the overall theme (i.e. look of the website) and the content. There are many youtube videos that do walk-throughs, frustrating at first but once you get the hang of it it all becomes intuitive. Also Wordpress is free, but if you want a premium theme you can pay a one time fee (prices range), but the free themes work fine. 

When I built a website in the past for a business I used wordpress and was able to built a beautiful website to my liking. There is some difficulty if you havent done it before but I got it done within a week plus it was actually fun to do.

I used host gator

Hi Ricardo!

I'm a web/user experience designer and built my portfolio on Squarespace. From my research, Squarespace, Wix, and Weebly were at the top of the best website builders list. Squarespace is very user friendly and enjoyable to use. For a personal website, Squarespace is $12/month ($144/year). It provides simple steps to get started and you can set up your domain name (URL) there.

I worked on a client's website on WordPress and found it to be a bit of a learning curve and a challenge to customize. I also felt a little overwhelmed with having to install plugins. With Squarespace, you have a good number of templates to choose from. 

As for content, focus on your target audience. Focus on what their needs are and what you can do to help them. Keep information simple and scannable so that if a user was in a hurry browsing through your website on their phone, they can have an idea of what you're all about. Keep your contact information clearly visible so they can quickly get in touch with you.

I would recommend squarespace. I have used Wordpress and although it does get the job done it is a bit harder to use. Square space is easy and intuitive and won’t leave you frustrated at the end of the day. The price is a little higher but still resonance especially for what you get.

@Ricardo Powell Jr Hey Ricardo, Squarespace is definitely an awesome platform to use, as that is how I built my website [www.dwellynn.com]. 

Now, I know some people recommend WordPress, which has its own advantages. 

But if you are looking for something aesthetically beautiful and can engage your users, then Squarespace is the way to go. 

Please feel free to reach out to me if you need any help. Thanks! - Ola 

@Ola Dantis   I just looked at your site and it is very nice I am looking to start my website very soon with how much information you have how long did it take to build it? Also, did you have to add any outside plug-in or anything?

I would go with wordpress. Squarespace is beautiful but seems limited and with all the plug ins for wordpress you can make the site do just about anything. There are also tons of meetups and online groups for wordpress you can get unlimited info for it, free. Pay for hosting around $3 a month... Hostgator, Blue host, just search wordpress hosting, then install your site. Create an admin name and password. You'll go to YourSitesName/wp-admin to login to you dashboard and from there you can make magic happen! There are so many templates to choose from you can make it look anyway you like!

@Janett McWilliams thank you I was also looking at the plug in factor so I can grow my website as my business grows as well, will check out the other sites too.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.