Becoming Licensed in NYC

23 Replies

Hey everyone, 

Andrew here from Brooklyn.

Today I am reaching out because I have passed my Real Estate Licensing exam to become a licensed real estate salesperson within the state of New York. I have no initiated the license yet because I know very few people who are active in the industry in NYC, and no one who is at the broker level. 

When I went to take my test at the government building in the Financial District I was solicited with business cards and flyers by a couple of professionals representing firms, but I am wary of pursuing cold promoters in this fashion.

I was curious, other than googling reviews, is there a smart way to vet which organization I may want to "park" my license at? Additionally, do you all have recommendations on how I can position myself as an attractive prospect when approaching them to seek sponsorship?

Lastly, if anyone posting here is located in New York City I am very open to meeting in person.

Thanks!

@Andrew Poitras

Hi Andrew!

While I happen to be a Broker in Brooklyn with my own Brokerage, I'm not taking on Agents, not at this time. I'm actually new to the Brokerage Game but have 2 decades owning multi-family Properties in Brooklyn.

I'm sure there are several others who can post their recommendations from experience.

I have only heard good things about Keller-Williams and Century 21 for new Agents.

You took your exam at 123 Williams Street, correct?

What surprised me about the Exam, though, is it felt like I was in the 80s when I used to take exams with a #2 Pencil, a multiple choice score card and a Question booklet! WOW! I can't believe it's done that way! Not only that, but the chairs were like the exact ones I sat on when I went to high school all the way back then too!

That's all ok... it shows me that if you have Computer and Tech skills, you can rise above those that don't use technology that well.

Good Luck and I'm sure you'll get a lot of support here on BP!

@Llewelyn A.

Hey Llewelyn, yes that's correct 123 Williams St! It is quite dated, but nothing municipal is ever "with the times" so I wasn't surprised at all. 

I appreciate the suggestion. I actually purchased my first home through KW so I have a person there I can start the conversation with.

Feel free to keep in touch. 

Originally posted by @Andrew Poitras :

@Llewelyn A.

Hey Llewelyn, yes that's correct 123 Williams St! It is quite dated, but nothing municipal is ever "with the times" so I wasn't surprised at all. 

I appreciate the suggestion. I actually purchased my first home through KW so I have a person there I can start the conversation with.

What did you use to prep for the exam, how did you register. I am looking at getting licensed as well.

Originally posted by @Adrie Moses-bailey :
Originally posted by @Andrew Poitras:

@Llewelyn A.

What did you use to prep for the exam, how did you register. I am looking at getting licensed as well.

I used http://www.nyrei.com/ and bought only the most basic course. It was very simple, just time consuming because you can't skip ahead or "beat" the timer. 

@Adrie Moses-bailey

In my case, I used Cape School for the Salesperson Training and I also passed the Exam.

For the Broker Exam, I used CareerWebSchool but that's only because Cape School didn't have the Broker Training Course.

I also buy the "Test Prep" training for an extra $50 just to practice.

I'm also sure that @Andrew Poitras NY REI school is good as well since he recommends that one as well!

Hey Andrew! Congrats on getting your license!

I follow an agent on instagram that services NYC and boroughs, he may be able to steer you in the right direction for becoming an agent in NYC.

@colinolearyny

http://www.townresidential.com/eng/associate/567-a...

Good luck and hope your career blossoms! Tell him @JoeyProfaciJr from instagram referred you

First find a brokerage that is looking to take on new agents. Ask them if they will offer any type of training or will pay for licensing and education. 

Then you will need to find a Realtor Association that offers licensing course. You can chose in-class or on-line licensing courses. I chose on-line but some learn better in class room settings. 

www.hgar.com is the realtor association that i use, they cover from the hudson valley where I live and work all the way to manhattan and bronx where you are from. 

http://www.hgar.com/education/

You will find on-line or in-class education. To become a licensed new york sales person, you need to first complete a 75 hour mandatory course. 

"This course is designed to provide you with the 75 hours of instruction required to be eligible for a New York Salesperson license. This course prepares you for the New York state licensing exam as well as provides the practical business knowledge and foundation necessary to be a successful real estate salesperson in New York. A proctored final exam is required before the certificate of completion is issued." 

So you apply for that:

http://hgar.leaponline.com/online-education/new-yo...

Complete the course and take the proctored exam at their location and now you have completed the course.

But now you have to sign up with the NYS Division of Licensing Services for real estate salesperson

https://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/eaccessny.html

This is where you find the location to take your state test as well as the license application.

So once you take the test and pass because you took good notes and reviewed them, you are going to wait for the results and hopefully by now you have found a broker!

Once the Pass grade is posted on the website you should be good to go. For me, it was a few years ago and I kind of forget the process but that is what the broker is there for.

You will also need to join a real estate association and the Multiple Listing Service. HGAR provides HGMLS. 

http://www.hgar.com/join/

If I remember correctly, it cost me around $1000 to get started as a NYS Licensed Real Estate Salesperson. $600.00'ish for realtor association membership, $199.00 for online course, $50.00 for test and maybe license application has a fee of $50.00 so maybe around $899.00 to become an agent?

The HGAR membership fee is a little under $600 per year, but that's a business expense and you're going to use it as a tax deduction as well as all the other expenses accrued for business related tasks. 

HGAR Member Benefits

Automatic Membership with New York State Association of REALTORS® and the National Association of REALTORS®

You have three powerful partners enabling your success.

They are going to make you take a new member introduction class that is like 3.5 hours and maybe an ethics class. 

The state test was $50.00 in 2012; Don't know if it changed. 

Think I covered everything!! If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask! I wish you the best and have a happy new year!

Hello,

Congrats we can connect. Please inbox me.

@Andrew Poitras , from your profile picture, I have no difficulty envisiging you as one of the Agents in "Selling New York" (or similar), where they regularly talk in multi hundreds of thousands in commission - per sale!

Can you imagine yourself, earning the same?

Can you talk the talk, and walk the walk?

Or, are you gonna let others, take your dream? Go get 'em...

@Andrew Poitras

Hi Andrew,

Congrats on getting your license. I'm a KW agent myself. I'll tell you my decision to joining them was a bit different then most. We were a part of other companies prior. We joined them originally in the beginning of 2017 because we wanted to have a Pa license where we flip properties and they are the biggest brokerage in the area. Here in the Bronx and Westchester Counties we are primarily Realtors doing deals, in Pa we are primarily flippers, but being a part of both brokerages has been very beneficial. What I've seen is the training is extremely on point. They actually teach you how to run a business, which you are, versus just being an agent. Now with that being said location is very important. Out of any of the boroughs KW has a large presence and are all top brokerages, even Manhattan. BUT, if you are looking to do Manhattan I would suggest doing your due diligence prior and finding the best brokerages in Manhattan. 

Ask yourself what are your goals?

Do you have a big sphere?

Do you have money to market yourself?

Should you join a team at first? (Great idea to learn the ins and outs of the business)

Is your goal to be successful at this to be an investor? (Mines is. We are now more focused on that)

Just understand that becoming a successful agent is becoming a successful business. The easiest part is getting your license. Now the true education starts. It can be a very rewarding career, but you truly have to work at it. Congrats and if you have any questions feel free to reach out. 

Ceasar Rosas, Real Estate Agent in NY (#10301210194)
(646) 338-7267

HI @Andrew Poitras it depends on what you're looking for.  Is this going to be your full time career? Or do you just want a place to hold you license?  Do you want to do commercial or residential?

If it's full time career, I know Compass is on the cutting edge of technology, or you can find a team to work on at Corcoran or Elliman.

If you want someone to hold your license for no fee, with a small percentage of commission, I have someone that would do that for you.

Best of luck to you, and feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

Originally posted by @Joseph Profaci :

I follow an agent on instagram that services NYC and boroughs, he may be able to steer you in the right direction for becoming an agent in NYC.

@colinolearyny

Good luck and hope your career blossoms! Tell him @JoeyProfaciJr from instagram referred you

Thanks Joe! I am checking out his profile right now. 

Originally posted by @Andrew Poitras :
Originally posted by @Joseph Profaci:

@colinolearyny

Thanks Joe! I am checking out his profile right now. 

Anytime Andrew. Have a nice evening! :-)

@Ceasar Rosas

Hey Ceasar, 

Your goals and trajectory sound very similar to what I envision for myself. I already have one property, but when I purchased it I did not have the right understanding of the industry and was not looking for a cashflow property. I planned to live in it. I am now in the process of selling it and plan to use those proceeds to begin investing. I have considered PA as well as parts of NJ. Ideally I would have 1 flip under my belt before end of Summer. 

Becoming an agent for me is more about education than anything else, it is not my end goal. I've sent you a request on here and would love to keep in touch.

@Ceasar Rosas

Hey Ceasar,

Your goals and trajectory sound very similar to what I envision for myself. I already have one property, but when I purchased it I did not have the right understanding of the industry and was not looking for a cashflow property. I planned to live in it. I am now in the process of selling it and plan to use those proceeds to begin investing. I have considered PA as well as parts of NJ. Ideally I would have 1 flip under my belt before end of Summer.

Becoming an agent for me is more about education than anything else, it is not my end goal. I've sent you a request on here and would love to keep in touch.

@Scott Wolf

Hey Scott,

These are important questions. Ultimately I plan to be an investor. I do need somewhere to hold my license, but I also wanted to learn the industry ins and outs. I want to know how to properly, effectively, and legally conduct my own sales. Regarding commercial or residential, I am interested in both. The first (and only) property I ever purchased was zoned C2- for both commercial and residential use. That was very attractive to me because I could run a small business out of the space, modify it for various small businesses, and also live out of it or rent out of it.

I am already working a full time job in the liquor industry. I am going to research Compass and the like regardless but will have somewhat limited time, when it comes to putting in office hours and assisting, because of my career. That said, I am dedicated and will make time for the right tasks and learning opportunities.

Hello @Andrew Poitras
I also took my R.E classes in NYC and test in Williams Str
I can say that joining Keller Williams Realty is reputable company to consider.
I am available to meet up to discuss a little more. Let me know

@David Olakanmi I'm interested in meeting up. You work for KW? Where are you based? I'm in Greenpoint but can travel.

Originally posted by @Adrie Moses-bailey:

First find a brokerage that is looking to take on new agents. Ask them if they will offer any type of training or will pay for licensing and education. 

Then you will need to find a Realtor Association that offers licensing course. You can chose in-class or on-line licensing courses. I chose on-line but some learn better in class room settings. 

www.hgar.com is the realtor association that i use, they cover from the hudson valley where I live and work all the way to manhattan and bronx where you are from. 

http://www.hgar.com/education/

You will find on-line or in-class education. To become a licensed new york sales person, you need to first complete a 75 hour mandatory course. 

"This course is designed to provide you with the 75 hours of instruction required to be eligible for a New York Salesperson license. This course prepares you for the New York state licensing exam as well as provides the practical business knowledge and foundation necessary to be a successful real estate salesperson in New York. A proctored final exam is required before the certificate of completion is issued." 

So you apply for that:

http://hgar.leaponline.com/online-education/new-yo...

Complete the course and take the proctored exam at their location and now you have completed the course.

But now you have to sign up with the NYS Division of Licensing Services for real estate salesperson

https://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/eaccessny.html

This is where you find the location to take your state test as well as the license application.

So once you take the test and pass because you took good notes and reviewed them, you are going to wait for the results and hopefully by now you have found a broker!

Once the Pass grade is posted on the website you should be good to go. For me, it was a few years ago and I kind of forget the process but that is what the broker is there for.

You will also need to join a real estate association and the Multiple Listing Service. HGAR provides HGMLS. 

http://www.hgar.com/join/

If I remember correctly, it cost me around $1000 to get started as a NYS Licensed Real Estate Salesperson. $600.00'ish for realtor association membership, $199.00 for online course, $50.00 for test and maybe license application has a fee of $50.00 so maybe around $899.00 to become an agent?

The HGAR membership fee is a little under $600 per year, but that's a business expense and you're going to use it as a tax deduction as well as all the other expenses accrued for business related tasks. 

HGAR Member Benefits

Automatic Membership with New York State Association of REALTORS® and the National Association of REALTORS®

You have three powerful partners enabling your success.

They are going to make you take a new member introduction class that is like 3.5 hours and maybe an ethics class. 

The state test was $50.00 in 2012; Don't know if it changed. 

Think I covered everything!! If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask! I wish you the best and have a happy new year!

Hey thanks so much. That was laid out so clear and is incredibly helpful. I am not quite ready to give up my nine to five but would like to get my license and maybe work part time as a realtor to get my feet wet and see if I can make it go at all/enjoy it before diving in. I recognixze it is nearly impossible to have any real success without being fully committed though

Hey thanks so much. That was laid out so clear and is incredibly helpful. I am not quite ready to give up my nine to five but would like to get my license and maybe work part time as a realtor to get my feet wet and see if I can make it go at all/enjoy it before diving in. I recognize it is nearly impossible to have any real success without being fully committed though.

No problem, the least I can do. When I first started, I had another job that I kept as well. When I had established myself to a certain point, it became hard to complete my Real Estate duties while working at the other job so I had to let it go.

I would do as you said and work part time and see if you like it and could turn it into a career. Have a good day!

Hey thanks so much. That was laid out so clear and is incredibly helpful. I am not quite ready to give up my nine to five but would like to get my license and maybe work part time as a realtor to get my feet wet and see if I can make it go at all/enjoy it before diving in. I recognize it is nearly impossible to have any real success without being fully committed though.

No problem, the least I can do. When I first started, I had another job that I kept as well. When I had established myself to a certain point, it became hard to complete my Real Estate duties while working at the other job so I had to let it go.

I would do as you said and work part time and see if you like it and could turn it into a career. Have a good day!

Thanks man, I appreciate you sharing that, glad to see I not being silly trying to do both

@andre inbox me please.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.