Newbie from Long Island

7 Replies

Happy New Year, everyone! I am a software engineering manager by trade but looking to get into real estate as supplemental income. I've done a lot of self education through various websites, YouTube, and various podcasts, which is how I came across BiggerPockets. I didn't realize there was a such thing as a REI community to help each other! I find that so amazing that folks on here will go out of their way to help one another. Anyway, I'm looking to get started but having trouble making that initial leap of faith. I don't have a mentor, which is why I'm turning to this community for advice :). To get good deals, I hear people talk about trying direct mail marketing or driving for dollars. I'm not sure if that's the best way for me to get started since I'm not a professional real estate investor and also have a full time job. So I'm thinking maybe auctions(.com) might be a good way to purchase my first property. But I'm not sure what to expect. What does everyone else think?

I’m in your camp buddy! Newbie looking for guidance from mentor - but in the meantime going to continue to work my way thru getting a deal done with or without one! (Can’t depend on someone else at the end of the day!)

Went to Long Island BP meeting last night which was good - mostly newbies, but a couple who have or are in middle of closing their first deal!!

PM me if you want more details on the next one. Also, PM me if you just want to bounce ideas.

Hey Rich

I would still consider myself a noob as well although I’ve done 3 profitable deals. My first deal was through direct marketing and I completed the deal while having a full-time job. I would suggest you look into direct marketing and possibly trying to get a wholesale deal in the process. It’s a beautiful thing .

Best of luck

@Rich Lau

I also am from NY and work a full-time job.

I do not have the time to drive for dollars, direct mail marketing etc.

I started investing by picking a couple areas that I wanted to invest in and reach out to investor friendly agents who provided me access to listings on the MLS.

Good luck in your investing!

Basit Siddiqi, CPA
917-280-8544

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Rich Lau :

Happy New Year, everyone! I am a software engineering manager by trade but looking to get into real estate as supplemental income. I've done a lot of self education through various websites, YouTube, and various podcasts, which is how I came across BiggerPockets. I didn't realize there was a such thing as a REI community to help each other! I find that so amazing that folks on here will go out of their way to help one another. Anyway, I'm looking to get started but having trouble making that initial leap of faith. I don't have a mentor, which is why I'm turning to this community for advice :). To get good deals, I hear people talk about trying direct mail marketing or driving for dollars. I'm not sure if that's the best way for me to get started since I'm not a professional real estate investor and also have a full time job. So I'm thinking maybe auctions(.com) might be a good way to purchase my first property. But I'm not sure what to expect. What does everyone else think?

Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you!

Tom Ott, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2016003865)
440-749-4043

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.