advise and help for newbie

2 Replies

hey how is everyone hope everything is well, I am fairly new to investing and I am in need of some advice. My parents are looking to sell me their house they still have a mortgage on it about $75K , the estimated house value on the house is around 130k . my idea is to buy the house using a 203 loan or Fha loan and upgrade it . The house has 3 bedroom 2 bath upstairs and 2 bedroom in the basement level . Thinking about adding a bathroom and a kitchen in the basement level then live downstairs and rent out the 1st floor level 3/2. Any thoughts or suggestion to this particular situation any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

@Josue Rivera

Sounds like a good idea. Just 1 or 2 caveats.

1. The 203K loan is only for construction and rehab not to actually buy a house with. If you already knew that then don't mind me. So you would be pretty much be getting an FHA loan to buy the house from them and then use a 203K loan to remodel it into a 2 family. Cool.

2. Please make sure you do your homework to find out if it is legal to convert your SFH into a MFH. Some counties restrict that. Also find out what steps you have to take to turn it into legal Multi-family which can then legally list it as a MFH on the MLS.

@brian. I did not know that. Thank you for the information I appreciate it .

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.