Found plumbing issue right after I found townhome

16 Replies

Hi BP Team , Is there any window for the buyer to go back to Seller if any major issue is identified in the house but was not identified during the inspection ? I bought this house on September 2017 and seller was living in the house until Dec 24th 2017 as extended lease because they wanted some time to find a new house for themselves . My new tenant moved in on Jan 5th and they noticed small part of carpet was wet . I had my plumber look at it and he said its because drain coming out of washer is not big enough to hold the water which is causing the leak . Now he needs to cut the wall and increase the drain size . I am waiting on a estimate there but it sounds like I might be looking some good amount . Do I still have time to go back to the Seller and try negotiate if they can fix it for me ? Thanks Nima

Doubtfull, it should have been caught by your inspector.

Like @Thomas S. Stated, doubtful that you have any recourse. Most purchase contracts are as-is at the time of closing.

But... while the requirement of washer drains have increased from 1.5” to 2” 5-10 years ago, there is often a clog or something that is preventing the water from draining fully. Upsizing the pipe will probably help, but depending the cost, I might look into other options first.

I’d probably try snaking it. Or look into installing a wash tub. Since the wash tub has room to ‘store’ the water while it drains, you won’t see the same overflow conditions.

Also, usually when a washer drain overflows, it’s rather spectacular because of the amount of water coming out of the washer. If all you have are some drips... I’m not convinced.

This may come across as a bit harsh...

THIS isn’t a real problem. Fix it and move on to your next deal and your next and so on...

You own a rental property. Things happen...things need repaired or improved. As long as you bought right your costs will be covered by the rent. Maybe not every month or every year since you’ll have some major CAPEX items at some point that will kill cash flow for a year or more at a time. The key is to diversify across enough units to where they collectively not only cover all the expenses but provide you with a cash flow as well.

Go get 50 more units and retire rich one day :)

@Mike McCarthy Thanks Mike. Currently the size is 1.5 inch. I forgot to mention in the original post that I am managing this property from Out of state. This Plumber who looked into is saying that there is no access to snake. would you please explain what do you mean by installing wash tub  ? I had Plumber sent me the video . Problem is not just a drip , there is actually an overflow. Per Plumber overflow might be causing because of the more powerful washer that new tenant has installed and required to larger drain. @Brandon Hicks not harsh at all :)

@Nima Lama so your new tenant has a washer that could be the cause of the issue, and you want to go after the seller, who most likely never had a problem? Time to move on, and either upgrade the plumbing, or look into other avenues.

Originally posted by @Nima Lama :
Hi BP Team ,

Is there any window for the buyer to go back to Seller if any major issue is identified in the house but was not identified during the inspection ?

I bought this house on September 2017 and seller was living in the house until Dec 24th 2017 as extended lease because they wanted some time to find a new house for themselves . My new tenant moved in on Jan 5th and they noticed small part of carpet was wet . I had my plumber look at it and he said its because drain coming out of washer is not big enough to hold the water which is causing the leak . Now he needs to cut the wall and increase the drain size . I am waiting on a estimate there but it sounds like I might be looking some good amount .

Do I still have time to go back to the Seller and try negotiate if they can fix it for me ?

Thanks Nima

Yes, the new washers have more powerful pumps that can overwhelm the drain that was designed with older less powerful washers in mind. That being said, it could need a good snaking after years of gunk build-up, but you said plumber said he did not have the proper access to snake the drain. If there is an existing laundry sink next to the washer, you can try to drain the washer drain hose directly into the laundry sink to allow the sink to handle some of the additional volume while the water drains down the sink at the max capacity of the drain. Other options are using enzymes to break down the potential lint and gunk in the drain that is reducing the max capacity. These options are explained in the link below. So just know, opening the wall isn't your very last option to explore. You will have to incur some hours and see if the tradeoff between replacing the entire drain line and using labor hours to try some other options is worth it to you.

some additional tips here:

https://dengarden.com/appliances/How-to-Fix-Washin...

@Brian Pulaski I am learning about the possibilities of the actual cause  as I am  communicating here . Of course I would not go after seller , that`s senseless. I wanted to get an advice if it would even make sense to reach out to the Seller an ask questions related to the matter. 

@Nima Lama yes, the wash tub I mentioned is basically like a large sink.  By the time you install it though, it may be the same cost (and not every laundry room has the space for one).

I don't know why the plumber couldn't just run the snake down the standpipe (the pipe that the washer drains into).  I'd be willing to bet that there's a clog and clearing it will solve the problem.

But all this is really based on how much it'll cost to upgrade the drain.  If it's a few hundred $$ to replace the pipe with 2" and him guarantee you won't have an issue, it's worth the cost.  If he's talking more than that - I'd get another opinion.

I agree with some of the others here, at some point, you'll realize throwing a few extra hundred dollars at a problem to make it go away is a good long-term plan - both for your sanity and your investments  :)

@Jeff Bridges Thanks Jeff :) Living out of state is a barrier for me to try my other options out . I am planning to try one more plumber to look at it for second opinion and go with best pick . Always something new to learn . 

@Brian Pulaski I am learning about the possibilities of the actual cause  as I am  communicating here . Of course I would not go after seller , that`s senseless. I wanted to get an advice if it would even make sense to reach out to the Seller an ask questions related to the matter. 

I thought I read you asked if you can go back to the seller and ask them to fix it, maybe I misread. Either way, I would forget anything to do with a previous owner and try to find the best way to fix the issues to prevent anymore problems.

@Brian Pulaski you read it right Brian . I should have elaborated myself. I am worried about the estimate numbers and thought of throwing out my concern . After hearing several options , as you mentioned moving on is my smart call :). thanks though .

@Jeff Bridges Thanks Jeff :) Living out of state is a barrier for me to try my other options out . I am planning to try one more plumber to look at it for second opinion and go with best pick . Always something new to learn . 

obstacle, not barrier:) I was referring to hired labor hours with experimenting with alternative lower cost options. You can hire your handyman or ask your PM to price out labor/materials for installing a laundry sink and drain the washer direct into that so you can compare against your soon to be 2 plumber quotes for installing a new wider drain line. Your PM works for you, not the other way around:) We're all confused about plumber not being able to snake. Your top question to your 2nd opinion is can the drain really not be snaked and if it can, do that first and see if that resolves the drain issue before you proceed with the drain replacement or even a new laundry sink. Ask if they can snake the drain from the roof vent if they cant do it from the drain opening. There are at least 2 ways to snake that drain that I'm aware of...

@Jeff Bridges Thanks Jeff. so I had the second plumber looked at it. He identified issue was actually sewer line not a washer drain. I went with his suggestion since he was more trustworthy referred by one of my good friends and Mr Rooter run the sewer line during the weekend. There is no leak at the moment. hopefully leak wont come back.

Thank to BP family . 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here