Thoughts on getting real estate license

3 Replies

I am sure this question is asked all the time. Plenty of real estate offices in my area are looking for real estate agents and offer training while I take course and go after My real estate license. My goals in Real estate is Buy and hold ( rental income ) and wholesaling. Any insight would be great. Actively reading and honestly overwhelmed on what to read next. So many options. 

Hi Paul,

Great question and one that I asked myself. From my standpoint, getting my real estate license was a decision based on getting into a better career rather than helping with my personal investing.

To have a license, there are a lot of fees, education requirements, and liabilities associated with it. Furthermore, I have experience with a lot of investors in my local area, and all the serious ones are very much on the pulse of the market in terms which markets are working. When you get going, there's not much difference in what you know versus what a strongly competent agent would know.

So I suggest if you do pursue your license, do it with the first intent of getting sales and earning money so you can afford those investments you wish to make! :)

I hope that helps!

Duane

Hemmed and gnawed over this question for 4 years before pulling the trigger on my license recently. In order for me to make sense out of license costs I need to sell real estate to people other than myself, it took a long time for me to decide if that was an activity I really wanted to get involved with. I may regret the decision in a year or 2, For now the MLS exposure is helpful.

Thank you Duane, yes I would would like to make more money to use toward investing. As well as gain the experience of bieng in an environment where I can learn. Although I am on my second book I am finding it hard to retain a lot of the information. Thank you as well Robert, My sister works in a commercial real estate office and the guys that came in there who knew nothing are just a few years in and owning property and making large REALLY LARGE commissions. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.