Donovan Keith
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Bank Recommendations for Checking + Security Deposits

Donovan Keith
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jan 23 2018, 13:37

Hi,

I've just put in a backup offer for my first investment property in Oregon. It's a Single Family Residence (SFR) with an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU / Grandma Unit) in the back. As much as possible, I'd like to handle the bookkeeping on this as correctly as possible.

My initial research tells me that I'll need:

- A dedicated checking account for this property.

- A savings account to hold the deposit for the house.

- A savings account to hold the deposit for the grandma unit.

I currently use Capital One 360 for my consulting business and like how easy it is to create sub-accounts at no cost. This allows me to tuck away money for taxes, etc. That said, best I can tell, they'll only let me open the one checking account. I don't want to use the same account as I'm concerned about commingling the finances and (eventually) I want to have a clear picture of how each of my properties is doing.

1. Any recommendations for banks that offer multiple checking and multiple savings accounts with little to no fees?
  2. Any suggestions on how to best structure my finances for my first few properties?

I don't expect this property to cash-flow more than a rounding error for the first year or two, thus the emphasis on low/no fees.

Thank you,

Donovan

Loading replies...