Need advise dealing with banks...

5 Replies

Hello all, So I have my HELOC. I have access to the MLS through a great broker who is willing to help me out. I’m also in the process of trying to get prequalified. I’d like to shop around with other banks but I’m curious if I should be telling them the mortgage is for a rental property or a purchase of a 2nd home? In addition, do I even say that I’m using the HELOC for the down payment or not? Any advice or opinions are welcomed. Thanks!

@Will Pardo When trying to borrow money I've found that anything other than the absolute truth regarding the use of the property and where the funds are coming from will come back and bite you. 

You don't need to volunteer info like "I'm going to quit my job next year..." but don't lie about pertinent facts directly relating to the transaction.  

If you want to avoid mortgage fraud then you probably should answer the questions you're asked honestly. The first one being what type of home property will this be, answer being investment property.  Now if you're actually able to meet the detention of 2nd home and that's your intent then by all means say that...

Now for the second part, they're going to know about the HELOC and it'll impact your DTI. It's unlikely they will ask you where you're down payment comes from, but if they do, answer the question. If you it goes against you, better find out now before you have something you need to close on.

I've found it easier to tell my lender what I'm doing/what my goals are. He helped me find the easiest/most efficient way to them. The bank has rules they must follow, but if they can find a way to get you money, they will because that's how they make money (and all the people along the way of your purchase).

Also if your investing, please use a investor friendly lender not something like Quicken loans.

Thanks everyone! I thought as much but just wasn’t 100% sure with this being my first go at it. I do like the idea of having buffer or someone to say I’m stretching myself too thin so I think I’m heading in the right direction. Hopefully I’ll be posting a successful first deal soon! Thanks! 👍🏼

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here