How do I properly reject an applicant???

4 Replies

I am not sure of what the proper protocol is for rejecting applicants.  Do you send an email as to why they are rejected? How much information do you give? Are you legally required to give a reason? Does it depend on the state you're in? 

For a while now, I've been curious on how to properly approach rejecting a tenant. Any advice would be super helpful! 

Thanks in advance!

According to Dodd Frank law, if you reject an applicant based on low/ poor credit, you must provide the adverse action notice provided by your credit check company. Generally, the less said the better.

@Jenifer Kynor I usually don't send them anything. With the rental market so hot I tell applicants that if they are selected they will hear from me before xx date. If they don't hear from me, they weren't selected. If any ask why, they are typically told that I have found a more qualified tenant. Unless it is because of their credit as @Bettina F. mentions, I give no additional reasons.

I'll parrot what's been said above.  It's better to set up the process so that if they qualify to be your tenant they'll hear from you, as opposed to informing them that they do not qualify.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here