Turnkey company for small multi family?

9 Replies

Hey there,

My husband and I live in California and are looking to invest out of state. Turnkey properties are appealing to us, but we would like to invest in 3-4 unit properties. Do turnkey companies do that or only SFH?

We have $400k to get started with, and we want to stay in 1-2 markets—any suggestions on reputable companies in emerging markets??

Thanks so much!

You might start by poking around @Jay Hinrichs ' website which collects investor feedback on turnkey providers: http://turnkey-reviews.com/

Originally posted by @Heather Lanser :

Hey there,

My husband and I live in California and are looking to invest out of state. Turnkey properties are appealing to us, but we would like to invest in 3-4 unit properties. Do turnkey companies do that or only SFH?

We have $400k to get started with, and we want to stay in 1-2 markets—any suggestions on reputable companies in emerging markets??

Thanks so much!

Sometimes, but they are not often "turnkey" in the sense that the provider selling it to you does not own it nor did they do renovations. They just look for properties on the MLS that do not need a lot of work.

Finding a company that Turnkeys multis like that might be harder to find than SFR as the returns are more difficult to estimate. Keep looking, I am sure you'll find one!

@Heather Lanser I’ve bought from a turnkey company that does a few of these. They’re getting into larger commercial now too. They just don’t do a lot of these and if you want one you’ll have to be prepared to buy.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info. I can answer all your questions that way to. Personally if you’re new I think it’d better to start with some single family first

I have always been interested in this space and I think there is a gap to fill for the 4plex turn key rental property market. I'm hoping to be able to get into this space shortly. 

It's just harder to find the supply for these properties as well. 

Hey Heather! Depending on the market, some turnkey providers used to offer 3s and 4s. They were good ones too. In the last, maybe, 2-4 years though as the real estate economy has bounced back so hard, the 3s and 4s have kind of become unicorns in turnkey world. As far as I've heard, 4s at least are even hard to find now in non-turnkey world. 

Is the $400k your available cash? Or the financed amount? I work with a lot of turnkeys in various markets and there are a couple really interesting options out there that fit higher cash availability. Happy to chat anytime!

@Heather Lanser don’t do it. As someone who is trying to get rid of their sfh portfolio and scale up. The small residential mfh have no exit strategy.

This is confusing. The small MFR have no exits, yet another person says they're unicorns? I'd think if you wanted to sell your MFR, you'd have a lot of interest?

Thanks, all, for the input.

Ali, we have $400k capital. Since you are a fellow Californian, I would love to hear your experience!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.