Is it time to start taking action?

2 Replies

Like most of us start out, I have been working a W-2 job for a few years and saving up to eventually kickstarting my real estate investing. Now I am at the point that I feel like I may have enough money to get started but I keep telling myself to save up a bit more before diving in. Am I just using this excuse as a scapegoat? Currently, I have about 15k cash and another 25k invested in the stock market via ETF's. Should I consider cashing out on the funds invested? 

Would love to get some feedback and hear what you guys think. Thanks BP!

@Maykol Au  

The key thing here is what niche do you want to go into with REI?

Wholesaling? Fix and Flip? Buy and Hold? BRRR Strategy? RE Notes?

Depending on which one you want to go into, determines if the current amount saved is enough or you need to save more?

For Buy and Holds, the money is enough to start diving into REI, because you do house hacks and 1031 exchanges to get bigger and better properties.

But for Fix and Flips and BRRR, you generally need to have all the cash in hand to buy the property, since you will be competing with expert investors with deep pockets.

Once you decide what your niche is then you can start figuring out yourself if you are ready or not. 

@Brian Adzadi  Thanks for the feedback Brian. 

Right along the lines of what you mentioned, I would like to go into buy and holds. However, I don't think I would be able to house hack since I cannot relocate at the moment and I would most likely be looking for properties outside of  a feasible commute.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.