Hello from Chesapeake, Va

3 Replies

Hello Everyone,

I am writing you from Hampton Roads Virginia. I am a born and raised local of the area which is rare due to our high military population. Out of high school I cut my teeth in the Transportation industry both global and domestic, following the footsteps of my Grandfather who was well respected in the business. I had always had an interest in Real Estate as my Aunt had been a real estate agent ever since I can remember. So, after seven years of working behind the desk I decided to start my career in real estate by learning it from the agent side of things. 

I jumped into being an agent headlong and its been a great learning experience so far. My long term goal was always to transition into REI side of the business but I didn't want to jump into it too quickly. Being an agent helped me in learning market trends, neighborhood profiles, how to pull CMA's among many other things. I recently got a taste of this side of the business by purchasing a distressed REO for my family and I to fix and live in. The value was there and after only $15k in repairs we sit on $65k in equity. Now I am ready to get intentional with starting along the REI path. I have started listening to more BP podcasts, reading the UBG, and looking to get into the different books suggested on the site. I know I have much to learn and have reached out to someone who is a part of the local REI club here to see if mentoring would be a good step. I would love any suggestions on my journey to getting started. If there are any locals around my area I would love to hear from you also. As with my agent career I know this wont be a quick thing, but with preparation and hard work I believe this will start my journey to meet my ultimate goals for myself and my family.

You're so right in your thinking, Randall, real estate investing is far more lucrative than being an agent. Welcome to the wonderful world of real estate investing!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.