First Investment Property - Should I Jump?

7 Replies

Hi - I'm seeking advise from those of you who've done this before.  This would be our first income property.  It is in my college town and we would rent to students which I am okay with. Paying 182k for the home, rent is 2k a month conservatively.  We would get someone to manage and lease it for 10% of the rental price.  It falls at 1.2% for the purchace price to rent ratio, and my income to expenses (without morgage) is 34.5%.

The house has been recently remodeled with a new roof, new HVAC, new windows, new siding. Haven't had an inspection yet.

Would you do this deal?  I plan on hanging onto it for a long time.  I live in San Francisco and am not familiar with other cities besides my college town.  I unfortunately can't afford anything in the cities I know (LA and SF).

Advise is MUCH appreciated :)

Best,

Gracie

@Grace O'Rourke What's your goal in this investment ? Buy and Hold or Cashflow? What type of loan term you have and what would be the expected cashflow based on the loan terms? $2,000 rent on a $180k asset sounds about right from a cashflow standpoint. I'm assuming it is in California. You could get good appreciation too. 

(919) 434-3132

Thank you Henri for writing back!  The house is very well priced for the area.  I think just buying and holding would give us some profit, but we are purchasing it for Cashflow.  This home unfortunately is not in California, it is in Ohio.  Our mortgage is a 30 year term - cash flow according to the bigger pockets form is just under 6,000 / year - not much but at least thats more money than 0 dollars a year.   I calculated that with very conservative rents as well.  I think we could make up to 10k a year off it.

From the numbers you gave, it sounds like a great first property. $6K/yr is a reasonable cash flow for a SFH.

Have you seen it? I would definitely try a walkthrough or even a video walkthrough with the inspector. There are usually reasons that a specific house is such a good buy in an area - and as long as you’re going into it with.m full knowledge, you’ll be fine.

Where people get stuck is thinking ‘oh, this is a great buy’ and then later realizing WHY no one else wanted to pay market value for it.

Every thing aside from your expenses looks OK. Long term you will be in the 45% range on expences if everything goes well.

@Grace O'Rourke - have you tried running all of the numbers through the Rental Property Calculator under the Tools  tab?  Members get five free calculations.

The numbers and details you gave on the property make it seem like it would be a good deal. But I would make sure you take into account all expenses (taxes, insurance, property management, repairs, CapEx, etc.) to determine monthly cash flow. The calculator will help you do this.

Good luck!

Thanks @Shane Cummings - yes, I did put it into the Rental Property Calculator, which gives me hope.  

@Mike McCarthy - I have not seen it, however I know lots of work has been done on the property.  The seller is trying to purchase another property so she needs the cash which is why it's priced to sell. The seller also got it for a great deal so she's definitely making money on it.  My dad is going out to get eyes on it next week before we close.

Another question - I'd like to finance this house myself (without my husband) to free us up for another loan under his name should we want to.  Does that mean we need the property deeded only in my name or is it okay if it is deeded in both of our names?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.