Driving For Dollars Question

2 Replies

Hi all,

I am currently looking for my second deal and want to start 'driving for dollars'. I am specifically looking for a Multi-Family 2-4 unit. Given that most investors don't live in the unit I have a feeling my letters wont be read. What do people do to ensure the owner gets the letter and it's not thrown out by the tenant living there? Look them up on assessor data base and mail letter directly to their home address? Or leave letter in the mailbox hoping the tenants will pass it on. Any thoughts and advice on using this method would be great!

Hi Michael,

You have a couple of options:

1.  Look up the state tax record for the property.  It will list the property address, as well as the owner's mailing address.

2.  Ask a Realtor to print a list of owners' mailing addresses vs. property addresses. (offer to pay for this information.)

3.  Buy a list of Absentee Owners from listsource, datatree, etc.

I hope that helps!

Pat Klug

@Michael Doherty ... Once you find the property, you can quickly lookup the address of the owners ... in the county records. Do  a quick search on Google for the county name and real estate records and you should be able to find it. There are various sites that aggregate them for all the counties in the USA. Some are free, others are paid ... 

(919) 434-3132

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.