Seven Day Pay or Quit Notice

8 Replies

I have my tenant 7 day pay or Quit notice. They left the apartment in 7 days. can i change apartment locks? also can i go to court to collect unpaid rent for that month?

Did they take all their crap?

I would wait the full time period

@Aron - yes they took all their stuff away but didn't clean the apartment as specified in Move Out requirement. 

@Mark - 7 day period ended yesterday. 

Not an attorney and don't know the rules in your area, but I would think it's good to go.

I'd probably just take a video of me entering the property, in case they come at me for "kicking them out" when they're not even there, (or if they're still in there and try to shank me...)

Thanks Aaron. Can i go to the court to collect last month rent? or am i not allowed to do that since they moved out?

sounds like your local abandonment laws will be in effect. If, according to your local laws, the unit is considered abandoned you are usually ok to change the locks and begin looking for a new renter. typically this may included removing all items, leaving keys on counter, or canceling utilities, but it may vary state to state.

I also second the video comment above. if the unit is abandoned your local laws may state that you have to store any items left behind for a period of time. your video is proof that the unit is empty and they did not leave behind their "expensive family diamond collection" which they would sue you for if you have no proof.

Once you have new renters in there, document the days you lost rent and take them to small claims (if the amount is low enough). once you get a judgement you can try to collect from there.

Originally posted by @Falak Patel :

Thanks Aaron. Can i go to the court to collect last month rent? or am i not allowed to do that since they moved out?

You can go to small claims for that, in case you don't have a security deposit to cover it and the damages already

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here