Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Galvez
Votes |
Buying my Second Property

Nathan Galvez
Posted May 3 2018, 06:55

Hi,

Before doing any real research I purchased a two flat in Chicago. We’ve been renting out the downstairs unit and living in/ slowly renovating the upstairs unit. The first couple months were hell, we had to evict the downstairs tenant, and redo some of the plumbing for the second floor bathroom. I can say that while these were terrible experiences, I am now a fully qualified plumber and electrician and much better at selecting tenants. We have since managed to add two bedrooms and a bathroom to the previously unfinished attic, and the house is getting really comfortable/ becoming a lot of fun to work on and we have good tenants. So things are finally getting on track. When I’m done renovating the house I believe we can sell the place for 550k, (we purchased it for 325K). This has been a multi-year full gut rehab and addition primarily done by myself, My fiancé is in her last year of her residency, so we will likely be moving next year. The following is my loose game plan for the next couple years.

I’m totally new at this and I would really appreciate any advice or thoughts from you guys on this loose outline. If I’m making any idiotic assumptions please call me out.

• 1.Sell our current house for 550k (purchase price 325K) lose 50k to 75k to fees and taxes and start with a down payment of around 200k.
  • 2.Purchase a multifamily unit with the with the sale earnings from our first place. Preferably as many units as possible but with hidden value in making improvements (the unfinished attic in our current house was a goldmine)
  • a.My feeling is auctions are good place to go for this but I don’t know anything about auctions.
  • 3.Rent a property to live in for the first year I can’t subject my fiancé to living in a gut rehab again
  • 4.Use the cash generated from the property and work during that first year to put together a down payment for a house for us.
  • 5.Re finance the rental property and buy more property.

These are my other day one questions:

• 1.I’m an architect, does anyone have any advice for actively leveraging my skills to help me do this real estate investing thing full time/ what career change could help me ease into this while still having a salary?
  • 2.My brother is a lawyer and he wants to team up. How do I actively bring him into the fold outside of the obvious stuff?

Thanks everyone! I’m really excited about this forum