Out of state multifamily property

10 Replies

Hi everyone, I live in Houston, TX. I'm planning to invest in multifamily property out of state (4 units and above). No duplex. I can't decide between Cincinnati, OH or Pittsburg, PA. Need your help.

Originally posted by @Romela Jover :

Hi everyone, I live in Houston, TX. I'm planning to invest in multifamily property out of state (4 units and above). No duplex. I can't decide between Cincinnati, OH or Pittsburg, PA. Need your help.

Welcome to BP! Being a member here, and listening to the podcasts specifically, has had a huge positive benefit on my life. 

I've posted this several times today.

Follow the deal. Forget just Cincy or Pittsburg. Invest in a deal that meets your criteria wherever you find it. 

Houston, is awesome, if you can afford it. 

In my opinion that would be a mistake. You live where many out-of-state people come to invest.

I live in California for example and all of my properties are in Houston

@Romela Jover You have narrowed it to two cities, you seem to have a focus on cash-flow, low property taxes, etc. Run 10 deals in each market and see where you end up. That said, you haven’t said why these are the final two, if there’s a connection to one or both markets, etc.

Originally posted by @Romela Jover :

@Cody L. Other states are still cheaper compare here. Especially multifamily. There are cheaper homes but in the flood zones. 

Best of luck to you.  It's just there are always downsides to going out of state.  Normally people do that because they're in a 0% return area like CA so they go to TX or other markets. 

So yeah, you can find cheaper markets but since you're already in a "good" one, I don't know that those cheaper markets will make up for the downside of going out of state.

But best of luck whatever you do.

@Romela Jover before you find a deal I would start building my team because more then likely you will find deals in either market. What happens after you close on your deal? It is important to have a rock solid PM and agent who can help you through the process. Start with your team first.... then find the deal.