Funding Options for High Debt to Income Individual

Funding Options for High Debt to Income Individual

Pontiac, MI · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 4 votes

I would like to buy my first investment property. I currently own my own home. 

I want a 4-plex, but I don't qualify for a loan because the cost is too high given my debt-to-income ratio. What are my options here? 

I can buy a single family and in 2 years the bank will let me realize that rental income as income to use towards another mortgage, but waiting 2 years between every purchase is just too long. 

I am in the Pontiac, MI market and there are some great options here, home values are on the rise and I have insider knowledge into the some of the improvements that are coming to the area and want to buy before the market really starts to gain value. (My house doubled in value over the last 2 years) 

Thank you!!!

1Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

San Luis Obispo, CA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 7 votes
8y

Talk to another loan officer. My local credit union says that they recognize rental income after 1 year of land lording experience if I can produce full P&L for the property and documentation to support continued operations. Effectively it's a business loan with recourse at this level. 

Look around your area for more financing options and talk to them. Not all underwriter and loan officers are alike.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Harjeet BhattiPro Member
    Lender · Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554 · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 747 votes
    8y

    @Doran Brooks Rental income will be count because you have landlord experience. 

  • Pontiac, MI · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    My loan officer says I cannot count rental income towards buying a 2nd investment property for 2 years. 

    I currently do not have landlord experience. 

  • San Luis Obispo, CA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Talk to another loan officer. My local credit union says that they recognize rental income after 1 year of land lording experience if I can produce full P&L for the property and documentation to support continued operations. Effectively it's a business loan with recourse at this level. 

    Look around your area for more financing options and talk to them. Not all underwriter and loan officers are alike.

  • Pontiac, MI · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Tom Arena 

    Thank you. I will look around for other loan officers. Will I have more luck at bigger banks, or should I look into smaller banks/ credit unions? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Doran Brooks, Just curious, what is your debt to income ratio, and is the debt a mortgage, student loans, or other?  It’ll help me know what to expect when I go through the same process. 

    Thanks, 

    Danny

  • Chicago · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    You could always try to go private lender or hard money loan or even a commercial loan. It all will depend on the LTV of the property, credit score, and a few more things. I am interested in talking to you about this maybe I can help explain or answer questions you might have.

  • Pontiac, MI · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed 

    Yes, please message me if you would like to talk further, I'd really appreciate that! 

    Hard money is too high of an interest rate, 15-18% for a rental wouldn't make sense. 

    If you have some more input on commercial loans and how they work? 

    Thank you

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    You can find another bank. Some lenders use rental income even if it hasn’t been 2 years.
  • San Luis Obispo, CA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 7 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Doran Brooks:

    @Tom Arena 

    Thank you. I will look around for other loan officers. Will I have more luck at bigger banks, or should I look into smaller banks/ credit unions? 

    In my experience, conversation with local lenders have been more successful. Their underwriters are training in evaluating local markets and they tend to be more flexible.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.