What is considered "living" in a duplex?

3 Replies

So I definitely like the idea of putting down 3-5% on a duplex instead of 20% on a single family house. So my question is, what is technically considered "establishing residence" in a duplex in Real estate terms to qualify for a loan with lower interest? Do you have to receive mail there? have a toothbrush at the house? What is the terms for that? 

The reason i ask is because i travel A LOT for work and am wondering how my residence would be established if im not really ever there. 

Originally posted by @Adam Mittermeier :

So I definitely like the idea of putting down 3-5% on a duplex instead of 20% on a single family house. So my question is, what is technically considered "establishing residence" in a duplex in Real estate terms to qualify for a loan with lower interest? Do you have to receive mail there? have a toothbrush at the house? What is the terms for that? 

The reason i ask is because i travel A LOT for work and am wondering how my residence would be established if im not really ever there. 

If you sleep there, if you receive mail there, if your car is registered there, if your voter's registration is there, you live there. What they are looking for is fraud. Just don't commit fraud and you're okay.

To clarify, you can put down 3-5% on a single family home too. The low down payment amount is due to the fact you'd live there (owner occupied).