I am 14 and need help!

7 Replies

Hello, I’m 14 years old and preparing for my future. I want to know how to start and get ready for real estate investing at the age of 14. I am a teenager so I don’t have much money but I have raised up around $1,600. I know I can’t buy properties with that kind of money but I need some knowledge first. Any info at all would be great, thank you! :)

Tim - good for you for even making this post at age 14. Here’s my advice so you can be ready when you’re older. Stay active reading BP, read a book on real estate, hustle hard and keep saving, invest in some stocks, find a mentor and soak up as much knowledge as you can. Keep it up! Bright futures await

Welcome and I am so glad you are here. You are 14 and you have all your life to invest. You should answer some questions and figure what is next . . .  

What do you want to do with your life? Education/Job?

Do you have a car?

You are still in school and when you do move out where will you be? A school? An apartment? A home?

Once a few of these are answered then you can plan and save for the future.

Once again I am so glad to see you on BP learning. This is a great place to start Real Estate Investing. 

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by @Anthony Dooley :

Invest in yourself by reading, youtube, and podcasts. Learn before you earn.

this is what I would suggest. LEARNING

you're 14 and already ahead of the game by even caring or considering real estate. It'll be a few years before you can legally make many moves and that's a GOOD thing, because it forces you to learn for a few years which you really need.

When you turn 18 most people won't take you seriously anyway, the only way to prove them wrong will be to heavily and confidently know WTF you're talking about and that's going to take a serious effort in self education.

good luck!

@Tim Safranek . Good for you!!!!

yes, keep reading, listening podcasts, education. 

practical steps you may want to consider:

- ask a parent/guardian to create a designated credit card account (even if it is "secured" - you have to put about $500 as collateral). it will start establishing your credit history, which you will need  as RE investor. Pay your bills on time, no "buts" or "ifs", all the time. 

- think VERY SERIOUSLY about college. education is very important  but not all education is created equal. you will NOT need a fancy school or a degree to be a successful investor, state or community college might be just enough to learn basic principals and critical thinking. Consider learning a trade - plumbing, electrical, HVAC - all will save you lots of money if you choose RE niche that requires remodeling

- do not spend your money on liabilities such as newest phone, outrageously expensive footware, etc  (if you havent read Rich Dad, Poor Dad, do it now) 

- consider summer internship with a RE professional (agent, investor, title agent, general contractor, etc. too many to list). downside - probably wont earn much money, still will need to wait tables at night to earn that cash :) 

best of luck to you!

im looking forward to see your posts on BP

Originally posted by @Tim Safranek :
Hello, I’m 14 years old and preparing for my future. I want to know how to start and get ready for real estate investing at the age of 14. I am a teenager so I don’t have much money but I have raised up around $1,600. I know I can’t buy properties with that kind of money but I need some knowledge first. Any info at all would be great, thank you! :)

I love this!

Tim - stay on this site and read as much as you can. If you make your way over to the blog, understand that most of the writers have their own websites as well - check those out as well.

Feel free to reach out. People here tend to be friendly. I mean, I fly off my handle once in a while, but mostly everyone is nice :)

Good luck!