Taxes for small private real estate fund (MMLLC)

Taxes for small private real estate fund (MMLLC)

Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes

I’m looking for some specific advice on structuring a small (<$250k) private real estate fund. I am starting with a passive group of friends and family investors. The goal is to raise capital from 2-3 parties to invest in a single property and distribute profits over 3-7 years. Within the first 3 years, I’d like to repeat this process, possibly with larger dollar amounts or a larger group of investors. I understand there are ways to get off the ground more efficiently and less expensively but it’s important to me to do this in a way so I learn the details in a scalable way. I want to use a waterfall structure to distribute profits based on a preferred return and structure the entity in a way that allows for a series of independent investments or funds. I’m close enough to retirement age that I could make this my primary occupation within a few years and, with a little luck, invest on my own - but I like the idea of also investing other people’s money as a way to help grow their capital alongside my own.

I’m fairly early on in my research but I am stuck on what seems a straight-forward tax problem. If I am the only Sponsor / General Partner / Manager of the fund (as spelled out in the operating agreement), am I the only one who files a Schedule E at the end of the year - or do all Limited Partners / Members also file one? My understanding is that I can create a Private Real Estate Fund MMLLC naming myself as the Manager / General Partner and each member would just file the K-1 I supply. If that’s true, the operating income/loss of the MMLLC would pass through to only my tax return and the other investors would not experience a taxable event until the MMLLC issues a distribution. Do I have that correct? Any clear gotchas you see as I’ve spelled out my thoughts?

I appreciate any guidance from the community, especially from someone who has done something similar.

Justin

0Reply
13 views

No replies yet. Be the first to reply to this discussion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.