Introduction of myself, and my vision

3 Replies

Hello everyone!

My name is Jonas, I'm 19 years old and coming from Denmark.

Next year when I'm done with college here in Denmark, I am taking the leap to the UK. (... So yeah - not quite USA)

My vision is to buy a 3 bedroom HMO, and then turn it into a 5 bedroom (This is "easy" to do with a lot of properties in the midlands, as they are designed perfectly for this). I want to then live in one of the rooms for a year, and rent out the 4 others. So basically the same strategy with duoplex, triplexes and so on.  

I'm looking to invest in the midlands in the UK - and I would be looking at around a £100.000-£110.000 house ($130.000-$145.000). I would expect a rehab, and licensing costs to be around £10-12.000.

HMO's in the midlands are very lucrative right now, and when I move out of the house I expect a 25% ROI.

So when I'm actually living in the house, my strategy is to get at least half a dozen of LOA's under my belt. Which I can expect £250-£300 from montly (Very conservative). 

The last year I've been saving a lot, and I've never been working so much in my life :-) Extremely motivated!

So next year I will have at least £35.000, to put down as a deposit - and the old man (my dad) might also want a piece of the cake - as he is very interested in property as well.

I've got my dad to join me on the mortgage - as bail (I'm not quite sure that's the english word for it.)

What do you think about my strategy?

Is it unrealistic, is there something I should be aware of?

Thank you very much! I'm looking forward to my property journey! :-)

Hey Jonas welcome to the forum

I think the HMO numbers you are projecting seem very high unless you do rent-to-rent, in which case you CoC return is very high

I regularly get sent HMO deals in the midlands, but it's not my target market right now, so feel free to connect with me if you want me to forward any on to you

@Jonas Albrekt Hansen Hi jonas my name is Henry and I’m 16, I’m new on bp and your post seems pretty similar to how I want to start investing, apart from the whole Denmark thing. I am also looking to buy in the midlands because it is less pricey than the south of England (where I live now) and I dream to buy my first house hacking property hopefully in my very early 20s. Your plan seems far more detailed than mine and I wanted to ask you if you have any specific location you want to invest in (like greater Manchester or Birmingham) and reasons why ylu choIse thIs area, and if you have any advice on which tenants to live amongst. Thanks for your time, Henry

On the surface it may work but you are going to have to do a lot of research to prove those numbers.

Talk is cheep. Prove the numbers with actual case studies.

Purchase prices, costs, expenses, rental rates, vacancies. Gather the recorded statistics to make your case. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here