First sit down with an experienced investor, what to ask?

8 Replies

I am getting my first opportunity to meet with an investor that is doing this full time and willing to let me "pick his brain". He is a buy and hold investor with a few flips every now and then in my area. I have never met him and hope to at least make a good connection/mentor. If anything else a new fishing buddy. I ran across a post on investing he put up on a local fishing forum we are both on. I'm pretty nervous and excited at the same time and loaded with questions.

I don't have my first deal yet but looking into rentals and flips as well. I have a list of topics/questions ready but was wondering what any of you might ask or discuss if given this opportunity?  

Originally posted by @Eddie Werner :

I would just ask him if he could share his story of how he got started and why he chose real estate.  Questions and comments will naturally develop during the story.

Sounds like a great way to start it off, thank you. 

Hey brother, 

I guess this is more life perspective than real estate perspective but I have had the opportunity to sit down and meet with some pretty amazing people and the number one thing I think you can do for yourself here is solidify the RELATIONSHIP!

Instead of having the whole conversation based around what you are trying to get out of it or what you can learn from him make sure to ask him about his story. How did he get there, what motivated him to get started initially, what are some of the biggest successes or mistakes he's had, what would he go back and tell himself if he was starting off as a newbie. Talk to him about fishing, does he have a family?

One of my personal favorites to inquire about is what is he currently working on what are his current goals and what can you do to help him get there. Even as a new investor, every body has some type of value to offer, it could be money for one of his investments (which could be less than you ever think it has to be), could be time and effort that you can offer him to find more deals or maybe you have a construction background.

When you present yourself as someone that is interested in the relationship (and hopefully you genuinely are) you'll find yourself meeting with him more and gaining value far beyond what you think you need to know going into this first meeting. Good luck brother, I hope this helps, I genuinely think this is the best thing you can do when seeking a mentor. 

Originally posted by @Shaquille McCray :

Hey brother, 

I guess this is more life perspective than real estate perspective but I have had the opportunity to sit down and meet with some pretty amazing people and the number one thing I think you can do for yourself here is solidify the RELATIONSHIP!

Instead of having the whole conversation based around what you are trying to get out of it or what you can learn from him make sure to ask him about his story. How did he get there, what motivated him to get started initially, what are some of the biggest successes or mistakes he's had, what would he go back and tell himself if he was starting off as a newbie. Talk to him about fishing, does he have a family?

One of my personal favorites to inquire about is what is he currently working on what are his current goals and what can you do to help him get there. Even as a new investor, every body has some type of value to offer, it could be money for one of his investments (which could be less than you ever think it has to be), could be time and effort that you can offer him to find more deals or maybe you have a construction background. 

When you present yourself as someone that is interested in the relationship (and hopefully you genuinely are) you'll find yourself meeting with him more and gaining value far beyond what you think you need to know going into this first meeting. Good luck brother, I hope this helps, I genuinely think this is the best thing you can do when seeking a mentor. 

This is awesome advice and exactly what I intend to do.  I will definitely be offering to help in any way possible as a sign of gratitude.  I am a new home construction manager so I am sure there will be something I can offer.