Engineering in RE (career change suggestions)

4 Replies

Hello beautiful people of BP, 

This is an atypical post, and not necessarily in the perfect sub-forum, but can't find a more fitting one. 

Long story short, I'm considering a career change that can use my current skills and also help me learn more about REI and/or RE development.

I'm currently a project manager at an engineering firm. I used to do, and sometimes still do, HVAC and plumbing design for commercial projects. So I have regular contact with architects and obviously other engineers. So I work on real estate all the time, but in a different capacity. 

With that in mind, please note that I am not soliciting a job here. I would appreciate any suggestions on what I could actually do, or types of jobs I should my resume to. I would like to think that I could be valuable in house to companies that are redefining spaces where I could assess the mechanical needs for the reconfigured space(s). 

Anyway, any thoughts that could help me "start out" another career is more than welcome. I don't know what I don't know! 

MEP can be very lucrative depending on the area you focus.  Healthcare is solid.  If you are interested in a carrer change and become more involved in RE, how about a construction management option at CBRE, Habitat Company, or other real estate managment firms?  You can also consider large general contractoring firms.

Good luck, 

Frank

Originally posted by @Frank S. :

MEP can be very lucrative depending on the area you focus.  Healthcare is solid.  If you are interested in a carrer change and become more involved in RE, how about a construction management option at CBRE, Habitat Company, or other real estate managment firms?  You can also consider large general contractoring firms.

Good luck, 

Frank

I work for a large enough company that just about most fields such as healthcare are covered. Multifamily isn't a very large sector of the company I work for though.

But perhaps construction management could be an option. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally posted by @Michele B. :

WOW< HVAC in certain areas make six figures plus  maybe just relocate to one of those areas and then save to invest.....California is one of those

California sounds nice for the weather, but a 100k career doesn't give me the life I have here in KC at my current pay. :) Plus I have family and my REI here so not really looking to change locations. Not a bad suggestion though, just not the one for me!