Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Joe Benson
Votes |
closing on first property

Joe Benson
Posted Aug 29 2018, 14:40

Hi, I've posted about the concept of out of state investing before, but just had my inspection and getting ready to close on a duplex in a month. the inspector was very thorough and said this was a good buy considering the price and the condition of the property and not having to do much work. 

I've been getting some resistance (naturally) from some family members, so it's a little stressful not having their full support. they think it's a money pit since it's an older house (1920) and will constantly need repairs causing me to lose all my money, and dont like that its out of state (1 hour from where we live, not terrible). They also keep saying how they dont want me buying a property out of state because i don't have a network of contractors they trust, and will constantly have to check in to make sure the job has been done properly. 

The market where i live is too expensive which is why i've been looking in providence RI. i think its good value for the price, with decent rent (cash flow about 550-600 if i bump rent slightly) and great existing tenants. also next to 2 hospitals, one of which is expanding. Just in need of some support here. Your family is always going to be conservative and its important to listen to them, but I think the price of inaction could be greater.

Loading replies...