Looking to learn more about real estate development.

1 Reply

Before I get started, I should mention that my dad has developed and rehabilitated nearly a hundred affordable housing projects over the years.  He knows residential development inside and out, but I don't.  

I just graduated from high school and I decided not to go to college, but instead work for my dad.  I'll be honest, my knowledge when it comes to real estate is fairly limited.  However, I desperately want to learn more.  I'm really interested in it all.  
I don't start working for him until January, so I thought it would be a good idea to self-learn so that I can start working with some knowledge in the field.  I'm looking for book recommendations, as well as any other general recommendations when it comes to learning more.  I'm also aware that I won't be starting any developments on my own for some time.   I just want knowledge and experience.

There are two other companies.  One is a property management company, and the other is a construction company.  

I want to learn about development, but I also want to learn more about construction and property management.  

I never was involved with much of my dads work growing up, so I'm starting from a point of minimal knowledge.  

Thank you for reading.

I have some experience with developing but as a builder developing land, subdividing to build homes. My father was the expert in this as well and I learned from him. 

I don't have any books that I can recommend but I can give a suggestion. One of the most important aspects of development was doing research on the land and knowing what can be done with it and what obstacles you will run into that will need to be worked through. I suggest spending some time looking into zoning, learn how to pull deeds and plats and familiarize  yourself with all the local offices that you will need to work with as a developer. I would suggest walking into the water, sewer, dept of highways, zoning, etc... and asking to speak with someone about development. You would be surprised how much information that they will give you. 

The other suggestion I would give would be to search for podcasts about the subject. I get lots of free education from searching out podcasts on different subjects of interest. 

Good Luck! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here