Residential rental in Folsom

11 Replies

I am a newbie investor looking to invest in the Folsom area. Plan to rent it to out for a few years and might eventually move there. Any pointers on which parts of Folsom are good ? How does Rocklin compare relative to Folsom?

Hi Sudhir. Folsom and Rocklin are pretty different. I suppose part of that is because Rocklin is along an interstate highway and Folsom is along a state highway. Also, there is a significant rail line traveling through Rocklin. They both have great schools and positive crime statistics. Folsom is the top place to raise a family and Rocklin is 13th (WalletHub 2018). I can contribute more information if you ask specific questions about either. I moved to Folsom in 1989 and went to college in Rocklin, 1995. 

Hi Sudhir, I just moved from Bay Area to Placer County. When we were relocating, I wish I had someone who could easily explain the lay of the land here to me. It took us months to really understand differences between cities of Rocklin, Roseville, El Dorado Hills, Folsom, Granite Bay, Loomis, Lincoln, etc

Feel free to message me and I can share with you the differences very easily, happy to help :)

Great contribution Sunny. I’ve often wondered why more people from out of the area don’t ask for help to “explain the lay of the land” to them. If I was moving my family to an area which I was unfamiliar and making a substantial investment, I think it would be really helpful to have a local contact which would give them unbiased advice. 

Hi Sudhir, imho Folsom is #1 place to live in the Sacramento area.  We moved here in the 90’s because of Intel and love it although it is starting to really grow.  Look up Folsom Ranch and see the development they are doing.  FolsomRanch.com.    Not too sure if this w/b the place for non-personal residential investment.  Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

@Derek Jones Can you elaborate a little more on your comment? I've been looking at Folsom area as well to invest in SFR and potentially move in the next few years with my family. But math just doesn't work out for me with 20% down-payment.

What other cities around Folsom would be profitable to invest in SFR to rent? Also, how is the real estate market there right now? Things are cooling off in the Bay Area and we see a lot of price reductions...

Originally posted by @Inna Hurin :

@Derek Jones Can you elaborate a little more on your comment? I've been looking at Folsom area as well to invest in SFR and potentially move in the next few years with my family. But math just doesn't work out for me with 20% down-payment.

What other cities around Folsom would be profitable to invest in SFR to rent? Also, how is the real estate market there right now? Things are cooling off in the Bay Area and we see a lot of price reductions...

Basically there is no return. You are negative every month. Example: your mortgage is $2500/m but you only bring in $2200/m in rent.

Originally posted by @Jeremy Blevins :

@Derek Jones any thoughts on a house hack in the area? The numbers we’ve ran will work while we live there but when we move out our profit margin will be slim to none.

It can be done but not much opportunity to do it. 

Folsom is a great place to live and raise a family, the bike riding is fantastic.  Investing?  Not so much.  There are better areas in and around the Sacramento area where your investing dollars would make more sense.