• Real Estate Agent
  • Phila, PA
Votes |
Lesson learned. . . seeking encouragement

Samantha Miller
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Phila, PA
Posted Oct 22 2018, 16:27

Hey BP. I wanted to share a tough lesson learned, partly to help others learn from my experience and partly to seek any words of wisdom/encouragement. :(  Thanks in advance!

I am just 2 weeks from closing on my first property. My plan all along had been to rent out the spare rooms while living in one, and live for free! While I can afford and qualify for the place on my own, I was excited to accelerate my savings rate while building equity and jumpstarting my real estate investing career. I had done plenty of research on the zoning and occupancy laws in my state to make sure I was good to go! However, I read the fine print on a mortgage document I was asked to sign the other day, which stated that I am not allowed to rent out rooms with this particular loan. I brought this to the attention of my lender, as I could have sworn that I had shared my plan to rent out rooms from the very beginning! It was my whole reason for purchasing a home all along. To my dismay, he claims I never mentioned this to him, and of course I don't have it in writing so - no proof. Sigh. Granted, I can always wait the 1 year minimum on the loan before moving out and renting the place then, or refinancing, but I had built my whole plan around the idea of renting the rooms from the start - and I wanted to do it legally! It didn't occur to me that my lender would have restrictions. Also, I asked my lender if they had any other types of loans I could switch to that allow this, but interest rates have gone up since my commitment and it is unlikely I'll qualify for any other types of loan at this time, at least before closing. I was disappointed to say the least. Now I am just hoping that it will be worth the wait to rent out the rooms or whole place later down that line, when I am allowed to do so. Anyway, I hope this post is helpful as a learning experience, and would love to hear if anyone else has ever had something like this happen and managed to see the positive side!

Thanks BP!

Loading replies...