NACA vs FHA/MassHousing Loan for first Property

NACA vs FHA/MassHousing Loan for first Property

Sutton, MA · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 3 votes

Hi BP Community, 

I'm trying to determine the best strategy for starting out as a real estate investor. My mortgage options are FHA, NACA or a MassHousing (Fannie Mae in MA) Loan. I want to leverage these loans in order to purchase my first two multi-family properties, househacking each over a two year period. I'm currently going through the NACA pre-approval process and although it is a massive pain in my ***, I know the terms will be worth it (0 money down, 0 closing costs, below market interest rate, and no PMI). The problem is that NACA requires home occupancy for the life of the loan, and it potentially will disqualify my ability to use an FHA or Fannie Mae loan on my second purchase.

That is why I'm considering using an FHA loan on my first purchase, living in the multi-property for one year, and then using a Fannie Mae loan for 5% down to buy my second property. Although the mortgages and PMI would be more than using a NACA.

I would like to use NACA in order to get off on the right foot financially, however I'm not sure it will work out long term. I guess an option would be to refinance the NACA loan when I am ready to buy my second property if I want to use a low money down option. That, or to take my chances with NACA finding out that I moved out of the home. Can anyone shed some light on their experience with NACA and similar situations? Or for you experts, what you believe to be my best option?

0Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris MasonPro Member
Moderator
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
7y

People that have used NACA either hate it or love it, with not a lot in between (they make you promise to market their program after closing). It does not exactly have the best reputation among listing agents who will be advising their clients on which offer to accept in a multiple offer situation. Make sure you don't put the financing before the house -- not having your offer accepted is also a form of $0 down, but the good news is that it comes with monthly payments of $0 and an interest rate of 0%.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    People that have used NACA either hate it or love it, with not a lot in between (they make you promise to market their program after closing). It does not exactly have the best reputation among listing agents who will be advising their clients on which offer to accept in a multiple offer situation. Make sure you don't put the financing before the house -- not having your offer accepted is also a form of $0 down, but the good news is that it comes with monthly payments of $0 and an interest rate of 0%.

  • New to Real Estate · Marietta, GA · Member since 2018 · 169 posts · 40 votes
    7y
    Hi Steve. 
    Im currently in a similar position. Have you decided between NACA and FHA?


    Originally posted by @Steve Shiner:

    Hi BP Community, 

    I'm trying to determine the best strategy for starting out as a real estate investor. My mortgage options are FHA, NACA or a MassHousing (Fannie Mae in MA) Loan. I want to leverage these loans in order to purchase my first two multi-family properties, househacking each over a two year period. I'm currently going through the NACA pre-approval process and although it is a massive pain in my ***, I know the terms will be worth it (0 money down, 0 closing costs, below market interest rate, and no PMI). The problem is that NACA requires home occupancy for the life of the loan, and it potentially will disqualify my ability to use an FHA or Fannie Mae loan on my second purchase.

    That is why I'm considering using an FHA loan on my first purchase, living in the multi-property for one year, and then using a Fannie Mae loan for 5% down to buy my second property. Although the mortgages and PMI would be more than using a NACA.

    I would like to use NACA in order to get off on the right foot financially, however I'm not sure it will work out long term. I guess an option would be to refinance the NACA loan when I am ready to buy my second property if I want to use a low money down option. That, or to take my chances with NACA finding out that I moved out of the home. Can anyone shed some light on their experience with NACA and similar situations? Or for you experts, what you believe to be my best option?

  • Sutton, MA · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Hi Dieggo,

    I ended up using FHA. NACA could not pre-approve me in the time frame that I needed and I was also concerned about the rules and requirements that NACA had. I think FHA offers more flexibility, and despite PMI and the terms not being great, I figure you can always refinance down the line.

  • Investor · MA · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Steve Shiner

    Hello Steve! Wow, 3 years later...I am in the same situation!! What did you learn, ended up going with, how is things working out for you? I'm very curious to find out!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.