What have you sacrificed for your down payment?

What have you sacrificed for your down payment?

Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes

I have heard a lot of posts about how to buy real estate with no money down, low down, first time buyer program, etc. All these paths are possible, but they are financial decisions that you are now just realizing when you want to buy real estate. If you have saved money from the start, meaning when you got your first job, then you will be in a better position.

Personally, it is either earn/save more money or cut expenses. Here are my cost cutting sacrifices.

1. My driving commute car is a 1995 acura integra that was a hand me down from my millionaire sister who drove that integra for 10 plus years.

2. I go to goodwill to buy my work clothes. Don't knock it, I found Georgio Armani suite for $50. Retail is $2k.

3. No Starbucks coffee. I drink work coffee provided for FREE.

4. limit my lunches at work to about $2 a meal. Sometimes less as work has freebies from time to time.

5. Cut my own grass lawn, as gardener raised from $40 to $80 a month. I had gardener for 12+ years.

6. Buy gas at Costco as seem good quality and lowest price around. But doesn't that Costco card cost money? Yes, but I look like my brother, and group together to get 2% cash back card that pays for itself, and some back at end of year.

7. I buy Nikes running shoes, at the outlet mall. Can throw in washer, air dry, and look like new again.

8. I buy and sell things on craigslist. Once found kitchenaid built in refrigerator for $100, and re-sold for $900.

9. Offered ride shares on Craigslist for gas money. Kills the time on long trips and helps pay for gas.

What have you sacrificed for saving down payment?

Terry

6Reply
61 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y
@Terry Lao No joke, I have eaten peanut putter and jelly sandwiches, every day, for 3 years. I see guys that go out to lunch or go to subway every day and they joke about my pb&j. I laugh with them on the outside, but laugh at them on the inside. I clip every grocery coupon available and only buy things on sale. I've worn the same work shoes for 3 years (although they have a couple holes in them so I may be splurging soon). Short term sacrifices for long term success....
See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I spend extra time when I'm spending money to make sure I get the best value from that purchase.

    Example, new TV 3k, other places 2500, few other online retailers 1800. Buy at 3k for local support/take home no issues with transit etc..price match and send it documentation to get it down to the 1800.

    Take it step further...lease new car vs buying one (even old).  Price was 38k msrp, residual at end of lease 20k. Payments would be outrageous so.. knock down sale price to 28k. Now for the kicker... Sales tax is either on purchase or in lease payment. My payment is 230+20 mo in tax...vs close to 10% on sale price. I will pay 780 in tax vs 2800.

    Leases don't always make sense and like any deal it's finding the right one that does. I rather spend the fixed cost of 230 mo for a new car vs saving 230 mo and having to make an unexpected repair or worse. 

    Smart purchases can have big impact if you take the time to plan them out...

  • Rental Property Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    Don’t owe a car altogether - I drive rarely - when need use car sharing comes to about $200 a months. Less that you would spend on gas and insurance only.

    Don’t buy lunch for work - we have food in office or I bring something I bought for cheap in supermarket in advance.

    The major saver - living with roommates this alone saves me probably 1000 a month. Also I live in a small room and just don’t have a space for stuff. Love minimalism!

    No gym - running for free. I go to a swimming pool occasionally tho but it’s cheap.

  • Real Estate Professional · Brentwood CA / Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 185 posts · 146 votes
    7y

    @Matt K. agree on the car. my vehicle is paid off however I know it's a ticking time bomb before needing a repair. I also religiously research items especially bigger ticket items before purchasing this way I'm 100% certain I am maximizing value for the dollars spent.

    As far as sacrifices? I'm considering leaving my home state to stop paying so much to live here, But I also have a marketing/video production side hustle for the past 8 years so I really focus on earning more instead of cutting everything out as my wife and I already live pretty frugally.

    Great post @Terry Lao

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    7y

    I am not sure scamming Costco is a sacrifice, haha. But overall a good list. Car is a huge expense and things like Starbucks and buying lunch add up quickly too. I do some of the things on your list and don't even really consider it a sacrifice. I guess you just get used to it. 

    I do pay someone to mow my lawn, but that is because the time trade off isn't worth it. I have learned you need to figure in your time when looking at frugal efforts. I know people who go to three grocery stores every week to get the "best deal" everywhere and maybe they save $10. I just order online and let them deliver. I may pay a few bucks more, but my time is worth $100 an hour or more. That is the paradox of DIY. It saves you money but costs you time, so when you look at the opportunity cost, it may not be worth it.

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    7y

    For those that say why do all this, isn't life about enjoyment?  I splurge on buffets. The below link is to a lobster and king crab buffet for $35.

    Can anyone top this deal?

    https://www.jacksoncasino.com/images/FB/720_x_1280...

    Terry

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

    I am not sure scamming Costco is a sacrifice, haha. But overall a good list. Car is a huge expense and things like Starbucks and buying lunch add up quickly too. I do some of the things on your list and don't even really consider it a sacrifice. I guess you just get used to it. 

    I do pay someone to mow my lawn, but that is because the time trade off isn't worth it. I have learned you need to figure in your time when looking at frugal efforts. I know people who go to three grocery stores every week to get the "best deal" everywhere and maybe they save $10. I just order online and let them deliver. I may pay a few bucks more, but my time is worth $100 an hour or more. That is the paradox of DIY. It saves you money but costs you time, so when you look at the opportunity cost, it may not be worth it.

     People typically are extremely bad at putting a dollar ammount to what their time is worth and feel guilty/anxious whatver parting with money to do something they could of done themselves. Here's an interesting tool to help give better insight.

    http://programs.clearerthinking.org/what_is_your_time_really_worth_to_you.html#.XDA4jmmIYwB

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Terry Lao:

    For those that say why do all this, isn't life about enjoyment?  I splurge on buffets. The below link is to a lobster and king crab buffet for $35.

    Can anyone top this deal?

    https://www.jacksoncasino.com/images/FB/720_x_1280...

    Terry

     Terry we have a place in RI called the Nordic Lodge. Only $103 a person. https://www.nordiclodge.com/hours.htm

  • Lender · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 658 posts · 626 votes
    7y

    Once I figured out I needed a down payment to buy a home, "saving for the down payment" became my top priority expense item. Every other expense item took care of itself (I never missed what I could no longer afford to buy). The same approach works for investing in income-producing assets to achieve financial freedom -- investment income exceeds living expenses. Personal finance articles call this "pay yourself first."

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    In 2016 I traveled out of state for work 120 days, working OT. Voluntary. Didn't have to do it. Socked away every penny of OT. So, I sacrificed time with my family for a short time to have assets for a long time. 

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    I saw the Nordic Lodge website. Only open Apr-Dec, i guess winter is too much snow and no one goes outside. Wow, the price of $103 is about triple $35 for mines. Also, no king crab. 

    Overall, menu looks pretty good, just not the price.

    Thanks for input.

    Terry

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    I let my partner take full ownership of our hanger and airplane.. So now when i use it I only have to pay for hobbs time. I still have all the benefits of owning it IE use it any time .. but only pay when i actually use it.. I will look up gas prices on airplane websites that tell you were the best deals are on gas along your route of flight.. this can save a bunch. instead of popping into say Sun valley and paying 8 bucks a gallon X 60  to fill up i can hit Idaho falls small non towered self serve and get gas for under 5 bucks so save 200 dollars right there. 

    Own my personal residences free and clear Vegas i paid cash and Lake Oswego will be paid off within in 20 months. I know I know ton of dead equity.. but i like it at my age..

    no debt other than super low interest loans on cars.. I always buy new car every 3 years so i never pay for tires or maintenance and since these are Teslas I never pay for gas.. I am grandfathered into the free supercharger net work so i don't even pay for electricity.. so I might have to rethink buying new every 3 years..  plus i got 7500 dollar tax credits on each car. that was nice. 

    Now starting out.. I spent 100% of my liquidity to buy that first house in Milpitas CA and that set me up for the rest of my career basically.. I have bought and sold in the bay area and Oregon 5 times now and each time we got big tax free gains from 250 to 500k each time.. this is why you do what you need to do to own on the west coast.  and why i don't agree with those that say a personal home is  a liability.. those liabilities have made me more than 2 mil in tax free gains since i bought my first house in Milpitas in 1978.. for 81k.. and it was new construction Shapell home which bay area folks know they build a nice home.

    but I like many others have my frugal peccadilloes  i was tearing paper towels in half before they finally got smart and perforated them that way.. I like to cook so i do most of the dinners.. and i am a credit card mileage junky for airlines and hotels. so when i get to take two or three international vacations a year they are all free expect for the food. and i go business class and stay at top hotels.. allows you to splurge a little when you in a different country..

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    Also want to add if you domicile in a market with no real appreciation.. and you dont have a job were you can hit big homes runs.. then growing a rental portfolio or fix and flipping is to me the best way to grow your net worth.. with the idea of at the end of the run retiring as much debt as possible to end up with free and clear assets or nearly so.

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    7y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    Thanks for input. I saw another post about people who are best of 2018. I instantly thought of you as the top guru, and your name did get mentioned several times.

    I'm planning to live in Las Vegas at some point in time. The southern cal cost of living and rat race is way too much to deal with. The fact that Nevada has no state tax is worth it alone.

    I'm into buffets, so Las Vegas is the place to be. Have not seen any all you can eat Lobster and King crab deals lately in Las Vegas. If lobster or king crab, then buffets will cost you at least $75. The best deal on the strip is the 24 hour buffet, which is all you can eat buffet at various casinos for a period of 24 hours. The best time to start is 9m, thus can get 2 dinners and a breakfast. 

    I never calculated the cost of telsa, maybe $80k, that will offset the price of gas. If gas gets to $10 a gallon, which it will in future, then will be worth it.

    Terry

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Terry Lao:

    @Jay Hinrichs

    Thanks for input. I saw another post about people who are best of 2018. I instantly thought of you as the top guru, and your name did get mentioned several times.

    I'm planning to live in Las Vegas at some point in time. The southern cal cost of living and rat race is way too much to deal with. The fact that Nevada has no state tax is worth it alone.

    I'm into buffets, so Las Vegas is the place to be. Have not seen any all you can eat Lobster and King crab deals lately in Las Vegas. If lobster or king crab, then buffets will cost you at least $75. The best deal on the strip is the 24 hour buffet, which is all you can eat buffet at various casinos for a period of 24 hours. The best time to start is 9m, thus can get 2 dinners and a breakfast. 

    I never calculated the cost of telsa, maybe $80k, that will offset the price of gas. If gas gets to $10 a gallon, which it will in future, then will be worth it.

    Terry

     they are one of the safest cars on the road as well. i look at safety as a big priority of what i drive.. i used to drive easy 30k miles a year in N. CA so your chances of being in a wreck go up.. so i have always look at that aspect.. cost is one thing. I used to have a limit of 50k for cars. and yes the Telsas are more one I paid 66k for the other 82k.  but i can afford it so why not. ???

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Terry Lao:

    @Jay Hinrichs

    Thanks for input. I saw another post about people who are best of 2018. I instantly thought of you as the top guru, and your name did get mentioned several times.

    I'm planning to live in Las Vegas at some point in time. The southern cal cost of living and rat race is way too much to deal with. The fact that Nevada has no state tax is worth it alone.

    I'm into buffets, so Las Vegas is the place to be. Have not seen any all you can eat Lobster and King crab deals lately in Las Vegas. If lobster or king crab, then buffets will cost you at least $75. The best deal on the strip is the 24 hour buffet, which is all you can eat buffet at various casinos for a period of 24 hours. The best time to start is 9m, thus can get 2 dinners and a breakfast. 

    I never calculated the cost of telsa, maybe $80k, that will offset the price of gas. If gas gets to $10 a gallon, which it will in future, then will be worth it.

    Terry

    but if i was just starting my journey and had a young family obviously cost of vehicle would be a major item.  back in the day when i drove a bunch i always bought used Mercedes turbo diesels.. in those days diesel was cheaper they ran for ever .. and were very safe. you could buy a used one for the price of a new toyota or honda.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 152 posts · 159 votes
    7y
    @Terry Lao Those are all great and all, however never get too absorbed in frugality. A lot of times frugality can be very short sighted and cost you more in the long run. I think it’s good to be cautious of your expenses and liabilities, but never obsess about them. Your time could be much better spent educating yourself and developing relationships with individuals in real estate, VS clipping coupons for three hours on a Sunday to save 40$. I like to think back to the book, think and grow rich. Use your mind more than anything to help you grow your real estate business. I used to be obsessed with spreadsheets and counting very penny I saved for the month, until I realized it was hindering my growth. Opportunity cost Is very much a real thing.
  • New Rochelle, NY · Member since 2018 · 235 posts · 151 votes
    7y
    I've always paid myself first going back to when I had jobs that didn't earn very much. But this past year I didn't take any vacations at all when I normally take at least 5 per year.
  • Investor · Longmont, CO · Member since 2016 · 185 posts · 156 votes
    7y

    @Terry Lao

    I'm glad someone finally mentioned it. 

    I'm probably going to be using creative financing on as many deals as possible in order to keep sufficient cash reserves and reduce my reload period to acquiring new properties.. However, I still save as much as possible. 

    I changed career fields due to the gap in pay between average salary and locations that work was available in (D.C. isn't really that affordable). So I moved back to KC (hometown) and started working in the commercial construction industry. Pay is comparable and living in KC will allow me to build a solid portfolio over the next 4-8 years, allowing me to effectively buy enough cash flow.

    It's been my only major step toward cutting my expenses, but what market you live in is HUGE, especially when you're talking living in a extremely pricey one.

    Meal preping my lunches and dinners for the week has helped save a lot of money.

    Like @Jay Hinrichs i too am a mileage junkie. I don't fly as much as I used to but 2 of my 3 cards are mileage based and I put ALL of my expenses on them. This allows me to travel for almost free internationally every 15 months (airfare wise).

    I don't go out and get drinks (I'm 23 so this is not very typical) unless it's professional related and even then I do it sparingly. 

    I buy work clothes (special socks and boots as I work in construction) on an annual basis when everything is on sale. 

    I basically live a boring life (for now) and it's not the best but I will deal with it for a few years to get myself in a better position as this allows me to save over 60% of my income annually. 

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    @Terry Lao No joke, I have eaten peanut putter and jelly sandwiches, every day, for 3 years. I see guys that go out to lunch or go to subway every day and they joke about my pb&j. I laugh with them on the outside, but laugh at them on the inside. I clip every grocery coupon available and only buy things on sale. I've worn the same work shoes for 3 years (although they have a couple holes in them so I may be splurging soon). Short term sacrifices for long term success....
  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Get a PT job.

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I would buy old tools from yard sales, clean them up and sell on ebay. One time I bought a Norton Sharpening stone for a buck, listed it on ebay, come to find out it was the most sought after sharpening stone for those competition axe dudes out in Switzerland or whatever (i asked the guy why he was paying so much for it). Got $785 for it.

    Thats just one of the many things ive done to save up. Ive cut out a lot of expenses over the last couple years as well. 

    I also pay for things I am really bad at, freeing my time up to be spent on things i am good at. 

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    7y

    @Jess White

    I do treat myself, didn't you see post about the buffets?

    https://www.jacksoncasino.com/images/FB/720_x_1280...

  • Investor · Avilla, IN · Member since 2013 · 796 posts · 769 votes
    7y

    @Terry Lao

    Your decision to cut costs and save money is a fine path. I went the no money/low money down route and saved time...not money. I went from 4 units to 64 units in right at 5 years. I’ve taken the last couple of years to focus on the portfolio and pay down debt. Now I’m about to embark on the ULTIMATE no money down investing strategy....syndication.

    To each their own but there is a huge advantage to leveraging/scaling up early on. The compound effect it will have on my net worth should be pretty phenomenal over the next 30-40 years.

  • Consultant · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 117 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    Well, I have been attempting to make my FIRST NICKEL n REAL ESTATE for about 25 years and have not cleared ONE YET.

    When I was working for Corp Amer, making almost $100k, I attempted to purchase my first 3-Unit SFR here in Rhode Island. It did not work out.

    Have I sacrificed anything up til now trying to figure out MY ENTRY KEY TO THE RE World? I think so!

    Been educating myself in Real Estate Investing since 1995 +/- and . . . . . have spent or wasted at least $20k on guru no money down "courses" including TRUMP U! :0(

    Forced to sell home / condo - in 2009 - could not find suitable work = sustainable income

    Gave away most all contents in condo = books, sofa, etc to SALVATION ARMY prior to sale

    Been in Poverty for over a decade

    Finally found work bagging groceries for 2+ years / 3 hours PER WEEK as ONLY JOB making $35 / wk

    I have been wearing mainly the same clothes for 15+ years - purchased some at Goodwill & SAVERS

    No Gym memberships for 8+ years, just on and off as "guest" & walking the surrounding neighborhoods

    No Vehicle for 6+ years

    On Food Stamps for 5 years

    Living with Parent for support for 10 years and still here !!

    Not being taken seriously by anyone in Real Estate Investing or World

    ORIGINAL GOAL for RE investing ? To Pay off Student Loans

    Still owe $176,000 in Student Loans deferred / Outstanding and CLIMBING . .

  • Kyparissia, Messinia · Member since 2017 · 94 posts · 43 votes
    7y

    I ride my bike or walk instead of driving a car.  If I have to go far, I take a bus.  We have our own garden, which has something all year round... even if it's just lettuce and green onions.  We don't buy new clothes often... but wear what we have till they wear out.  I cook at home.  Have learned to can and freeze vegetables.  Cut down on food waste by using leftovers.  We do alot of foraging for edible greens as well as gleaning fruits from abandoned orchards.  My husband walks to work when the weather permits. Gather branches from trees for firewood instead of turning on heat. This isn't new to us however. We have always been frugal. This has helped us pay the mortgage of our house,  as well as renovating it later.  It has enabled us to send our children to university without going into debt.  To pay for our youngest son's wedding.  And to now have enough to buy our first rental.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.