Buy Washer and Dryer or Queen Bed?

18 Replies

Hi All...new member here and this is my first post. My wife and I started up on Airbnb in December with a small (1100sf) 3BR home in Abingdon, VA and we've had 3 bookings so far. We have a queen in one bedroom (that's the biggest that will fit), a twin in the second and a full pullout in the living room. Our third bedroom is currently empty. My question is would you purchase a washer and dryer or a bed for the third bedroom first and why? Based on our budget right now we can do one now and the other later in the year. Thanks!

I would purchase the bed now.  Reasoning behind my answer, you will be able to accommodate more guests, possibly earning more income on a per guest basis & a washer and dryer in a bedroom will be out of place.  How long have your guests booked for?  Depending on the duration of the stay a washer and dryer may not even be necessary.

Welcome to BP, Neighbor. 

My first thought would be do you not have a designated laundry room for the property? 

Second would be does the W&D fit the space? Meaning, would the W&D be openly exposed in the room causing it to stand out in your rental photos or is it hidden by a closest or something? If it's going to look bad and out of place, maybe forget it and go with bedroom furniture.

I generally advise never clients to never cannibalize bedroom space, but if renters are always asking for a W&D, maybe go with the W&D and purchase bedroom furniture when finances allow it.  

Originally posted by @Fred Thimme :

Hi All...new member here and this is my first post. My wife and I started up on Airbnb in December with a small (1100sf) 3BR home in Abingdon, VA and we've had 3 bookings so far. We have a queen in one bedroom (that's the biggest that will fit), a twin in the second and a full pullout in the living room. Our third bedroom is currently empty. My question is would you purchase a washer and dryer or a bed for the third bedroom first and why? Based on our budget right now we can do one now and the other later in the year. Thanks!

Who puts washer and dryer in a bedroom? Do you not have a separate designated closet(ish) room for W&D?  I would convert the 3rd room into  a recreation room or something. Hang a TV on the wall. Put a couple of love seats. Have a ping-pong table.  Put a small refrigerator with some soda/beer etc.   Maybe have XBOX or something.   Yes, it will cost you a bit more, but that's a decent use of 3rd bedroom. Not a damn W&D... No... No.. No.. 

If money is an issue, right now leave it as it is, and do it when you make some money from the venture. 

Thanks for the quick replies. The washer and dryer would go in the bathroom as there are connections available there but the house purchase didn’t come with them. 

Originally posted by @Fred Thimme :

My question was about which to purchase first but obviously not putting a washer and dryer in a bedroom. Sorry for any confusion.

Clearly, most people read it as W&D in bedroom... LOL.  

I think overall W&D is a good idea.  This should be good way to market to someone who wants to stay for say a week or so. Whenever, I travel I I always bring back a dirty load of clothes. Oh I would so love to bring back a load that is just washed, and smells fresh.  You stay in a big hotel, they charge you $25-30 for a load of laundry. Its not cheap. 

Thanks again for the feedback everyone. I think I am leaning bed since most of my bookings will be 1-3 nights and I may be able to charge ~15% more and get the washer/dryer later. My cleaner lives next door and so far she’s been ok with using hers for the laundry. 

@Fred Thimme   Bed 100% then get your butt on craigslist and look for good deals on washer and dryer.  Be patient and make sure they allow you to run a test on each before you buy if it's over $100 each.  

The bed will absolutely get you more money.  Washer dryer..nice but not as important.  We have 2  units we do Airbnb on with laundry in the complex but not in the unit and it is fine.  You might not get a 2 week booking, but most of our stays are 2 nights anyways

DO NOT buy a bed on craigslist...bedbugs.

@Fred Thimme I would invest in a bed now to generate more bookings since you can accommodate more guests. Especially, if you charge more for extra guests. This should generate more income to purchase a washer/dryer. We buy our washer/dryers from a local reputable used appliance store. They offer a 30 warrantee and it costs us no more than $400 for a set. In the meantime I would recommend to guests a nearby laundry mat if they're staying for long periods of time.

Does cleanliness mean nothing to you guys? LMAO.. I shower 3 times a day.. 1 extra shower just to make sure I don't smell like Chicken Curry, and I do my laundry twice a week. 

@Richard Sherman   - Big fan...Love the passion.. How is SF working out for you? Are you happier than you were in Seattle? Didn't think I'd see you here..