Flipper/Rehabber · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 5 votes
Just listed my first flip. My agent did the comps and after doing my research I instructed her to list a bit lower. The property is at 20 DOM now and there has been 4 viewing with no offers. This flip is in Baltimore city. Should I reduce the price at this point? I’m highly motivated to sell.
At the same time, make sure of two other things: 1. the online listing looks good. No crappy, blurry or dark pics. The agent must take pride in her work.
2. Make sure it catches the eye when someone comes by....ie, it doesn't have to be Frank Lloyd Wright, however make sure the grass is mowed, no trash on the lawn, etc. Make sure it looks inviting. Good luck!
Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
Hi Kyle,
At 20 DOM I would not change the price. I am not sure what the avg DOM is in Baltimore city but if you had it priced right, in the beginning, give it another 2 weeks.
Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
@Kyle Glasgow how many properties has your agent sold recently? How many in that area? I like price ranges better than a single price. i.e if I think property is worth or comps around $320k I would have agent list a range between $299k-$329k. It’s important to capture the individuals who have set their parameters of a max of $300k. Best of luck!
Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 416 posts · 396 votes
7y
@Kyle Glasgow usually (in the Philadelphia market at least) the best offer typically comes within the first 30 days. Your market could differ, but as an agent, I price my clients’ homes so that they get an offer within that timeframe.
When it comes to flips, I would price the property at a slight discount to beat out the competition around my clients.
With that being said, if you are priced higher than everything else around you, I would consider dropping the price. For example, if the properties in that areas sell for around 200-215, I would price it around 195-210(as long as your profit Margain won’t take a major hit). Also, my hope with pricing a property competitively, is that it gets multiple offers and I can start a bidding war.
If your market moves much slower than mine, like if your average DOM is around 60 days in that area/neighborhood, I wouldn’t sweat it terribly. I would still aim for at least 1 offer before day 35-40 though.
Flipper/Rehabber · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 5 votes
7y
@Twana Rasoul
The property is listed at $137k. The agent wanted to list at $149k and she had the CMA to justify that number. I decided to go with $137k for quick sale. The average DOM is about 120 days. I must say even though the agent hasn't sold many homes in that area she seems very thorough. The pictures were professionally done and she had brochures done too. She's advertising on social media and there is and open house in 2 weeks. Would it be wise to lower the price right before the open house?
I would really like to close on this flip in 2 months.
Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 21 votes
7y
I would have scheduled the Open House within the first week or two of listing while the listing is popping up on all new searches. Maybe she can hold a Brokers Open between now and then?
That being said, it sounds like your pricing is good. Wait until the Open and see what kind of feedback you get. Have you received any feedback from the showings?
As others have mentioned, the average DOM plays a role in getting offers, comps play a role, time of year plays a role, listing photos play a role, and how your property is marketed plays a role just to name a few.
What kind of feedback have your received from the four showings? Is your agent keeping you abreast of this feedback from agents and prospective buyers?
I'd do the open house first before reducing the price. I'm sure Baltimore in February isn't exactly peak home-buying time due to the weather. Have your agent list that you are a motivated seller in the MLS private remarks if you're serious about unloading the property and are willing to negotiate on offers.
Developer · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
Sounds like you've renovated the property well and it's priced to sell. Be patient (wait 2-3 more weeks before reducing the price). Things slow down during the winter and will pick up pretty soon.
Also, what other marketing does your agent do in addition to listing the property on the MLS? If he/she does not do any other marketing, you may want to do your own. Example - send postcards to everyone in the neighborhood /subdivision about your property.
Another marketing you can do is talk to different mortgage brokers if they have prequalified buyers interested in the price range and in the city/subdivision where your flip is at.
WorldWide · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
any particular reason for the rush? HML fees eating a hole in your pocket? Did the flip go over budget? Judging by what you've said, I'm with everyone else on the patience part. You don't want to appear desperate (unless the situation warrants it).
Realtor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 12 votes
7y
@Kyle Glasgow
lots of good input already.
If your dom is low relative the average id also see if holding on to the property up until the average dom sold( and to close ), might cost you more than a reduction. Since you’re still going to be responsible for all payments to loans, credit cards if you’re banking on the sale to pay off balances before it hits interest.
Real Estate Agent · Souderton, PA · Member since 2016 · 591 posts · 414 votes
7y
@Kyle Glasgow so much bad advice in this thread.
What is the supply and demand in your market? Are there other listings like yours, sitting on the market?
It is very likely you are experiencing a sellers market like the rest of the country. If this is the case, you as the seller are putting your home out into the market for those buyers to then come buy. If they don’t see value, they won’t buy. New buyers will not come along and over pay for a home that the market has already rejected.
If a home does not sell with 7 days it’s over priced.
List price does not determine sales price. If it did, we would just list it at a billion dollars, and we’d all be billionaires.
Homes sell for a little bit more, or a little bit less than market value. The way to get a little bit more is to have a bidding war.
So yes, contrary to what most people believe, your better off under pricing the house than you are over pricing.
Real estate is way too efficient of a market to allow for people to let a “good” deal go.
By not lowering the price, you are just delaying the amount of time it’s going to take to get the price you were always going to get. How many different ways do I need to say it for it to ring true. We don’t choose the sales price, the market does, so list price does not matter.
Some agents were really shaking the market up by listing homes for a dollar. Guess what they sold for....market value.
You cant make the house any nicer, its a flip. Only other option to sell it is to....
Drop the price, and drop it a lot. If it were mine I'd drop it about 10%, maybe more depending on the market. Don't we all think if a buyer was willing to pay anything close to 10% less than asking, they probably would have already written that offer?