find out who mortgage company is

5 Replies

Here is my problem. I can't find out anywhere who the mortgage company is. I do not want to have to pay a title company to looks up the properties that I have found. I am looking at pre foreclosures and do not know if any are worth it. But I am a cjeap skate and do not want to shell out the money for something I might be able to do myself. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You need to somehow evaluate what the properties you're looking at, are worth. I always recommend getting friendly with a Title rep, who can do you a favor. Realtors get to look at records for free as well. If you can get friendly with a few people on the inside, you're likely to get what you need the "cheapskate" way. Good luck.

Medium fbprofileJoshua Dorkin, BiggerPockets | http://www.biggerpockets.com | Podcast Guest on Show #100

If you're looking for property values, on what's a good deal, what's not, the most useful information is current market data. The title companies do NOT have this.

The best spot is access to the MLS. Why do you think all the appraisers use the MLS in their local area to compare market value of their properties? Ever seen an appraisal? It comes with 3 comps. coming off the MLS sold data, not the tax records.

If you're in Southern CA, I can do the searching for you.

If not, find decent mortgage professional that is part of the MLS. Then, you don't have to deal with the loser real estate agent that can't spell investing.

You should be able to check with the recorder of deeds in the counties where the properties are located and look up the Title Records for the properties. This is public information and it is free. Call the county recorder and they should be able to help you. Some of them even have the info available online, for a small fee.

Forgive me, Brian, but what is it with people today? Cheap beyond their wildest dreams!

Drive 75 miles to save 3 cents on gasoline----"smart" way to save money when your car gets 16 miles to the gallon!

Don't be cheap. Searching county records is a huge time waster to check out "comps." How much is your time worth? Are you a scribe/ legal researcher or an investor? Does Donald Trump or others do it this way?

Deals are made in real estate by writing offers, not by bein an expert in comp. values.

Fastest way to find this, is through the MLS.

Jeff,

I actually agree with you. From the question that is posted though, I am not sure that he is looking for comps. If that is the case then like you said, just go talk to a realtor/mortgage broker. You would have people falling over themselves to provide that info if it meant they might get a deal out of it. Especially if multiple properties are involved.

If he is looking for the mortgage company that currently holds the mortgage then the MLS is not going to have this info (as far as I know).

Originally posted by "Jeff Real Estate":
Forgive me, Brian, but what is it with people today? Cheap beyond their wildest dreams!

Drive 75 miles to save 3 cents on gasoline----"smart" way to save money when your car gets 16 miles to the gallon!

Don't be cheap. Searching county records is a huge time waster to check out "comps." How much is your time worth? Are you a scribe/ legal researcher or an investor? Does Donald Trump or others do it this way?

Deals are made in real estate by writing offers, not by bein an expert in comp. values.

Fastest way to find this, is through the MLS.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you