If you had a 200k salary job, how would you start REI?

5 Replies

As the title says, if you had a job paying you 200k per year....how would use that to start investing in real estate?

Originally posted by @Cameron Rockey :

As the title says, if you had a job paying you 200k per year....how would use that to start investing in real estate?

I'd buy Turnkeys that cash flow. There are tax advantages for high incomes, it requires less of your time, you don't have to learn all of the ins and outs of real estate investing, it is the least risky. Here is how the numbers compare:

Average Turnkey Cash Flow Per Door In Phoenix Metro Area No Bank Needed

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/600/topics/584916-average-cash-flow-per-door-in-phoenix-metro-area

Seems like your advantage is having a high stated income.  You can use that to leverage up but you need to have cash for down payments.  If you don't have cash, having a 200K job doesn't help you too much in my opinion other than it may allow you to save up cash faster. 

I was in a similar situation 5 years ago when I started. What I did was save my 20% down on the properties and bought turnkey properties that are 2 units. Single Family Homes with legal basement suites. I own 5 now with that strategy. When I ran the numbers I only went for deals that cash-flowed 500 a month or more (250 per unit) using conservative rent numbers. My houses now cash-flow above that and I also chose to house-hack and live in one of the main floors and rent the basement so my living cost is only 500 a month for me and my wife.

Don't know if it is the best strategy but it works great for me and I have learned alot at my own pace. 
Good Luck!

@Cameron Rockey

An income like that gives you a lot of choices. I really would not be all that interested in real estate once I learned how I could make my income work for me.

Make sure your debts are all paid off and save for the down payment for your first rental.  Once you get that, repeat the process.

Think about what types of rentals you want.  Turnkey can be less work, but you also need to think about what type of home-starter or higher end.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here