When creating my website, does it matter if it's .com or .net?

14 Replies

Creating my Website does it matter if its . com or .net I noticed a lot of people have a . com but the name I like for my co and my website is already taken does it really matter ?????

Doesn't matter, technically, but people tend to think everything is a .com, so if the name is already taken for the .com you may run into issues with people going to the wrong site when they try to find you.  I would probably use a site that you can get both the ,com and the .net for.

Go with the .net, UNLESS it would bother you to be sending business to the .com site because of your marketing $$$.

Either come up with another name, or offer the owner of the .com to buy the rights to the name.

@Mike Abramov can you post your company name and vision and I’ll try to help you with a .com. I would not go .net not great for traffic and if there is and established .com they will trump you for any Seo purposes.

Originally posted by @Mike Abramov :

Creating my Website does it matter if its . com or .net I noticed a lot of people have a . com but the name I like for my co and my website is already taken does it really matter ?????

I elected to just switch up the URL a bit. Check out my URL below, there's an "S" in there that I'd rather not have put in there, but the URL was taken by someone that hasn't used it in years and that couldn't be contacted. 

@Mike Abramov I own a .com eCommerce business with an 800 number. Trust me when I say that nobody remembers your web site address and nobody remembers your phone number. They see those things in an email signature, on a business card, in an advertisement, or in an online search engine.

Just try to keep your new domain name as short as possible. Nobody wants to send an email to someone at webuytheugliesthousesintheentirestate.com

When you advertise, use capitals to make it readable: http://WeBuyTheUgliestHousesInTheEntireState.com is much easier to read; email addresses and domain names are case-insensitive.

I always recommend to people that create LLC's for businesses that they first check to see if the domain name is available, then check the state registration database to see if the name is available, then register both!

Originally posted by @Steve Hall :

@Mike Abramov I own a .com eCommerce business with an 800 number. Trust me when I say that nobody remembers your web site address and 

I always recommend to people that create LLC's for businesses that they first check to see if the domain name is available, then check the state registration database to see if the name is available, then register both!

great advice!