• Property Manager
  • Mount Pleasant, MI
Votes |
Am I on the right track?

Justin Thomason
  • Property Manager
  • Mount Pleasant, MI
Posted Feb 24 2012, 16:48

Hello, I'm Justin writing from Joliet, IL. I am new to real estate investing and looking for a bit of guidance on wholesale and short sales. I have been to numerous workshops, seminars, and purchased too many "Key to success programs". Wholesaling is where everyone says I need to start since I have very little money. I want to make sure I do things the right way, but I am ready to make things happen.

So far I have...

A buying site. Just a basic template, but I figured it would get me started for now.

An email address that seems more permanent than the gmails, and yahoos.

Business cards with website info, email, phone, and a photo of me. On the back of the card it says "I buy houses in Will County."

A membership with a local REIA. I am attempting to network online, and at the local REIA but I am not exactly sure how to effectively do that and be taken seriously. Many say that if you find a deal buyers will come. However, I do not know, or maybe I am not confident in purchasing a house not knowing what my exit is.

I also will be attending the Bigger Pockets REI Summit in Denver. I hope to learn more, and network with some great people!

My next steps are...

Purchasing bandit signs. Does anyone have any good resources for purchasing bandit signs? Are printed or hand written signs more effective?

Purchasing a listfor a mailing campaign. Does anyone have any good resources on how to find various lists of potential sellers?

Learn the market. I have a few open houses I will be attending this weekend to see what is out there and at what price. Is there any advice about things to look for at open houses, or any other ways to get to know the market?

I know that I need to continue to read and educate myself about real estate and the business, especially on rehabbing. I feel it is impossible to properly wholesale a deal if you cannot accurately estimate repair costs. Does anyone have any advice on how to learn more about repair costs?

I know that I still have A LOT to learn, but I just get so excited about this business that I want to make some things happen now!

Any help is very much appreciated!

Loading replies...