Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Rick Smitts
Votes |
Should I jump in the pool or stay on the sidelines?

Rick Smitts
Posted

31 Year Old Mortgage Professional in Phoenix/Scottsdale area in Arizona. Income is good right now (500k+) but in the mortgage business as you all know can be very volatile so I am paranoid about being house rich and not having enough cash. I am a cash guy at heart and I feel comfortable having ample reserves but I dont want to be too conservative. 

I have 100k in cash savings to invest plus the amount I need to I feel comfortable that in the event I lose my job or the mortgage industry and housing market suffers a 2008 esque crash I am still OK.. Fears I have are probably fears other investors might share. Are we at possibly the top of the market? Something has to give at some point since housing and stocks are up for last 10 years. Is it in 12 months, 36 months, 5 years? We dont know. But I fear I will get burned as many did, but I also fear sitting on the sidelines and not taking the chance to earn long term wealth. 

I am renting the home i live in. Still 12 months left on lease technically but landlord is flexible with me leaving early or even renewing lease again for another 12 months. Current rent is 2450.  This is includes down payment, repairs, furniture, etc..

Do I buy a primary residence to live in? Do I keep myself flexible and keep renting and purchase a home to rent out either as Airbnb? Do I buy a primary first, and as long as my income continues I keep saving another 100k to then buy a rental? 

Price is flexible but I would like to stay around 500k or less. I would like to be in the Scottsdale or North Phoenix Area.

Thoughts everyone? 

Loading replies...