Purchasing without a realtor?

3 Replies

What are the pros and cons of doing this?

I saw a property I'm really interested in on realtor and gave the listing agent a call. The listing agent said that it's entirely up to me whether I get an agent to represent me, but did mention that the seller might be willing to make more concessions if I represent myself. That the seller is all about money.

I'm not opposed to doing this since I feel comfortable doing the due diligence on it myself. This would be my first property so maybe I am just being overconfident though. Also, if the commission will be the same regardless, and the only one who benefits is the listing agent (by not having to split commission with the agent representing me) then I might as well get an agent, right?  

@Jose D. Get an agent. They will save you money and headaches if this person is good. How do you know if its a good deal or not? Have you seen the comps? Inspection? More than likely it won't change the net gain from the sellers side but that really depends upon their agreement. Each deal is different. The sellers agent has a fiduciary duty to the seller only and will do whatever it takes within the bounds of the law to get his/her client the best deal possible. 

Nothing wrong with someone experienced going at it alone. However you mention you havnt bought a property before. When Im the listing agent selling to unrepresented buyers, they typically would have done better had they had an agent....but they walk away with me patting them on the back while they likely overpaid or waived the inspection.